Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school Furniture/ Equipment

I would really appreciate all your help. We are moving into a new building next year as part of the Sure Start programme, and I have just been told there is some money available for furniture/equipemnt (amount not confirmed). Great! Problem - they need my wish list by the beginning of January. I know I need new chairs and tables and some storage units, and we already have the day to day equipemnt,but what would you have in / out of your setting if you could have it.

Sure start are big on Community play things! We have lots of it!

Its really good quality. Have a look on the website and order up a catalogue and room planner...I'm sure you will have the money spent in no time!!

Good luck

I TOTALLY agree, you will never buy better than community playthings.............................and ALL their equipment is guaranteed for 10 years!! I don't know of any other company which even comes close to that.Make sure you buy some of their wooden blocks, trucks and other vehicles.........hours and hours of imaginative play from them.They will also send you, free of charge videos of roomscape suggestions, how to use the blocks effectively and all sorts of other info........just look at their website for details community playthings.com

I would agree with the above

I had a total of £3,000. to get everything for a brand new unit. I worked out areas and made a big wish list and then analysed this to see what was essential and most expensive and would it enable me to deliver all the areas of the curriculum. I asked for advice from the authority and got little help so I did it myself.

My main thing was to consider storage and furniture to make areas of work.

I did have tables and chairs already

I got a painting easel from the Early Excellence centre at Huddersfield with a huge white board the other side. I got a carpeted low unit with 3 cubby holes for construction toys, a book trolley, a dressing up trolley, A Galt resource trolly with storage trays and shelves for our collage and making table. A shelf for our numeracy items and 2 units with slanted boxes for small world and numeracy items. I bought a baby Belling Cooker too.

From the Community playthings I got a half set of blocks and a 4 seater swing boat that turns upside down and becomes steps.

I also managd to buy a large and small bike, scooter, dolls pushchair and a plastic climbing frame. I also put out a plea for our parents to help with unwanted items spare clothing,

Hope this helps to spark things off for you, I also put all the equipment together myself!!!!

Good luck

Guest DeborahF

It's also worth looking in the children's section of IKEA if you have one near you. We got some great storage units from there with brightly coloured trays, at a fraction of the price that you pay in the catalogues. They were great for the children to self-select from. I suppose it depends how much money you are given to spend whether you've got to watch the pennies or not! Happy spending!

You do not have to spend a fortune in setting up a nursery.

My shops are Ikea, Woolworths and Au Natural.

Remember the days before nurseries- I can- and just buy what you would have given a child in the home to play with.

I agree with Community Playthings being the best-quite expensive but well worth it. We bought a "Help yourself" trolley from them this year-and what a hit it has been with the children. It has baskets and trays for collage bits, pots to put scissors, pencils, pens etc along the middle, an area for paper/card and a tape, ribbon etc holder. The children just love it-they can literally help themselves to whatever they need and even the youngest children become very independent very quickly when using it.

Ikea too as has been said is great for storage-and not expensive either.

Linda

remember soft furnishings too, cushions, mats, rugs, child size sofa's, adult sized comfy chairs, or would these come under accessories? :o

Peggy

Hi Debbs,

I would say avoid 'HOPE'

I did read somewhere in the Forum that hope were not fab, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered a drawer unit from them.

They explained that it would take 6 weeks. No prob. 8 weeks later I rang them and they said couldn't find my order, refused to look as I didn't have an account. Phoned again spoke to someone else, found my order and said wouldn't be in til jan/feb. When I asked them when they were going to let me know about the delay, she rudely said it wasn't their job no notify me.

It wasn't cheap either.

So cancelled order and will have a look at some of the suggestions given here.

Hope you find everything

Net x

Guest sandcastles

I work in a purpose built nursery which is now 3 years old. All of our rooms are set up with community play things. they are great for creating seperate areas. can be easily moved as they are on wheels which can be locked. they are easy to clean too! highly recommended! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)