Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Party

Hi

Would anyone be willing to share their successful Christmas Party games suitable for a lovely group of 12, 2-3 year olds and 1, 4 year old + possibly few 6/7 year old siblings? With 5 members of staff (parents invited too).

Also, advice on any 'must do, certainly don't do' type of things.

So far we will have cinnamon playdough out, stick the nose on rudolph game (not blindfolded!), and we will have music to dance to, and a craft table.

Giving out presents around the Christmas tree and party food.

We're not having a santa visit and we don't have the funds to get an entertainer in!

Planning a 'wonderland walk' outside, but obviously can't rely on it not raining.

Thinking of pass the parcel, but not sure they will be able to wait for the parcel to 'come round' and may just hang onto though.

How about a member of staff doing a puppet show - funny one or nativity one?? (might end up being me, so not sure about this one!!!)

This will be our first Christmas Party and would love it to be fun, successful and enjoyable for both the children and their parents.

As always, any thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Monica

X

We always find musical bumps and musical statues a hit, if they get a little lively we always find sleeping lions good for calming down. we did try musical chairs but instead of chairs we used cushions. I will keep thinking but its early at the moment, good luck with it. We also find sticky kids CD's are a hit.

We always do pass the parcel, with a 'task' and sweet in each wrapper. We divide the children into smaller groups of about 6 with a parcel for each group, to stop too much waiting. It's always worked well for us.

How long is your party, and are you having food? Our party is only for 2 hours and with food and pass the parcel, that takes up a lot of the time so not much more is required - and we always have Father Christmas.

Sue

Guest DeborahF

Lots of traditional party games and dancing games - all children seem to enjoy those. Don't plan anything that is likely to stress any individual member of staff out - the puppet show sounds wonderful but make sure it doesn't spoil YOUR enjoyment of the party because you get too worried about it! Singing a few Christmas songs together is lovely - and if you can manage to find FC anywhere, I'm sure that it would go down very well with both childen and parents (they love a photo opportunity!!).

Keep the overall plan simple, don't make the party too long and remember to leave time for toilet trips, washing hands, eating etc. Our children's favourite plate of food on the party table was our famous "chocolate platter" - a silver tray absolutely crammed full of chocolate of every kind and sprinkled with icing sugar; the children's eyes used to almost pop out of their heads when we brought it in and it looked really effective. Forget the healthy eating just for once!

Enjoy yourselves! :D:D:D

We play a game where we cut the pictures of old Christmas cards in half, to make two piles, then arrange one lot around the room and give each child the other half of one card and they have to hunt for the matching one and when they find it they bring them both back. Then they are given another to find. Works well as children can join in whenever they like and drop out when they like. (Good for after snack)

Carolyn

Thanks for all your responses - some excellent ideas and advice.

Sue T - Party is planned for 2 hours including food. Carolyn C - I love the Christmas Card cut in half game!

Simcity - what exactly are 'Sticky Kids' Cd's - are they the nice simple music Cd's - with instructions to use with ribbon sticks etc., when the children shake the ribbon sticks 'up high, down low, behind' etc. etc. ?

Thanks again

Monica

You can find Sticky Kids CDs on their website - www.stickykids/net (or go to Google). You can also buy them on Amazon. They were recommended to us on a Early Years PE course. They have lots of songs/rhymes which suggest movements, so could, I think, have plenty of mileage after the party season.

Harricroft.

Our Christmas party will start at 10:30 until 12 noon. ( previous years we have started at opening time but this year I want to make it similar to a normal sessions routine)

As parents arrive activities such as dough, glue/collage card making table, etc will be available, until I know everyone is in. Then a little show for parents, basically like our normal mat time singing, the opportunity for children to sing solo, if they wish ( I have a budding group of X factor contestants this year :(:( ). and then the reindeer okey cokey as the finale.

Then, I will play it by ear, (sponteneity being my middle name), mind you, today I was thinking of having a fire drill just after the show, never done one with parents present xD , and whilst we are trouping out then in again, father Christmas will suddenly appear in our santa grotto. :o

Then dancing to xmas party CD's, in the past if there is too much excitment, running around etc, we just get the parachute out, soon calms the children down and something the parents don't normally see as an activity.

Then food at what would normally be lunch time. :D

Have fun :D

Peggy

Lots of great ideas from everyone. We do the 'Snowky Pokey'. same tune- you put your right boot in etc. Then right mitten etc. We roly poly our arms for 'we do the snowky pokey'. We don't rush into the middle of the circle as I find that can be a bit intimidating for some children. We keep it nice and calm!!

The Reindeer Hokey Cokey is the Hokey Cokey with different words and actions

1. You put your antlers in...

2.You put your hooves in....

3. You put your red nose in...

4. You put your fluffy tail in...

5. You put your reindeer body in..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)