Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oftsted Challenging Oral And Mental Starters!

Hi we are currently being ofsted and was briefly watched during oral and mental starter today. They said teaching was fine, children engaged but they didn't think it was challenging enough. Prob is definately getting observed for numeracy 2moro and now feel I have to change/adapt planning already done to make it more challenging. We are doing Counting, comparing and ordering numbers. Any ideas for oral and mental starter and whole class teaching would be gratefully appreciated thanks! x

Normally, I would say dont change anything, do what you usually do.

Why do you think you are going to be observed at this time?

I still wouldnt change what you had planned, you know the children but can you adapt some parts?

Have you looked at the planning on standards or hamiltontrust to give you some ideas?

Good luck.

Guest tinkerbell

Kat don't know the age Reception?

Children in a circle counting on starting with different children and different numbers.

Number fans 'what is the number after 6?' What is the number before 8 ?','What is the number between 10 and 8?'

123? 345? 678? 10 9 8 ?

Keep it pacey.

Good luck

Tinkerbellx

Have you got to have all the class? could your TA have a group?

Numbers on a washing line?

it is a joint observation with head teacher and ofsted and they have given him them time they want to do it. As we are reading winnie the witch i had planned to have a cauldron and say the rhyme: the cauldron is big and black and very wide.

im going to take some bugs and put them all inside. Put in a handful of bugs and get the children to work in pairs to estimate how many I put in, show it on their number fans and then get one to count and check. I do have two very bright children who I am worried they may say I am not extending! They are concentrating on challenging the children and differentiation. :o

Can they do more or less, then?

Think Id do the counting activities as suggested by tinkerbell as starters and have that sort of thing as an activity.

Starters are usually short and sharp/ pacey warm ups.

I would stick to what you know works well but adapt it slightly for lower / higher ability - Could you have/ draw 3 bugs with nos on for your brighter ones to sequence as quickly as they can, use non-chronological nos to challenge them e.g. 5, 3, 2 or 2s/5s/10s patterns ? You could also make it more open-ended for the brighter ones to challenge them or extend them by getting them to explain howthey got the answer/why they did it that way, etc Like the previous advice says keep it quick and pacy

Thanks to every one who helped and asked how I got on, I used tinkerbells ideas about numberfans and kept it as pacey as I could. My TA took our two very high ability children out and did a similar activity but with harder questions. I was graded outstanding! :oxD I couldn't believe it I was in shock when they told me so thank you to everyone on here who helped I owe it to you!!xxx :(

Hi!

I read this last night but was so muddle-headed from coughing and sneezing I failed to respond. Having had a lovely long lie-in (only just got up! :o ) may I add my congratulations to everyone else's!

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)