Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Gross Motor Skills Activities Please?

I have a number of children this year who are badly in need of lots of gross motor skills activities. We've done lots of the usual - playing with balls, bean bags, riding bikes, balancing etc. Anyone got something different please?

Thanks,

Jess

An obstacle course is a good idea with various ways of getting around it, such as through, over, under etc. Ribbons are also nice for the children to use for dancing. Just tie a loop into one end of long lengths of ribbon, these can then be looped onto the childrens fingers. They can be swirled in patterns, high and low and thrown into the air.

We have an excellent, but very expensive, book by Val Sabin called Action Kids. It comes with a CD and tape of snippets of music. These are brilliant for incorporating into a theme for a physical activity. It includes warming up and cooling down activities.

As I said it is very expensive but perhaps it could be bought as a school rescource. The activities are for children aged 2-5 but could also be used for slightly older children.

Do you have a parachute? This is a good one especially if you have a lot of little balls to put on, the children just love seeing how fast they can get them off! We use a lot of music with our parachute and the piece we use for that particular activity is called "Popcorn"-I think it was around in the sixties. It's ideal.

Linda

A super idea our early years mentor showed us only last week:

Get a length of that very thick, covered, trampoline elastic (like the stuff that bungee hook things are made from), tie it into a loop. Everyone sits in a circle, with their legs outstretched in front and holds the elastic in their hands (an adult must hold the knot). Use the elastic for almost parachute-type games, rhymes, etc., with lots of stretching, arm raising, pulling, leaning backwards, and whatever).

We were told that this is great for upper-body/shoulder/arm development, and for lower body (hips, particularly), and can be helpful in progressing those children whose lack of physical development impedes their ability to sit still.

Saw this in use and it was great fun!

Diane.

Oh Diane it must be the "in thing!"

Very recently we were given the idea virtually the same as you describe except we use a large circular piece of lycra material. We have had great fun with it! Even the smallest children can hold and pull and when it is pulled taut we can all let go and no risk of anyone getting hurt. The possibilities are endless and great for motor skills.

I have also seen the elastic ring in use - brilliant fun and this was a course for teachers - no children involved. The lady who led the session had about 15 - 20m of thick elastic - some many things can be done with it and it keeps the children in a specific area.

I am trying to get my school to buy the action kids pack - but the head is hesistant at the momnet - is it really worth the money??

Want to try and put a good case forward for it as i am not too keen on the scheme we use at the mo - it has all the basics but is a teeny bit boring?!

the Action Kids resource is excellent. We have used it a lot and the children love the activiies. It is rxpensive but worth it.

Linda

Sarah do you have or have you seen the Tops Play and Tops Start materials. I believe they are based on this material, developed from it? I was keen to buy the full materials but couldn;t justify the expense unseen. Shame really.

but we like the Tops Play we do!

Susan

We have TopStart -

There is nothing amazing in it that doesn't come from elsewhere (e.g. animal beanbags, quoits, chiffon scarves, foot/hand shapes, cones, etc).

We got it for free, but if you have to buy it, it would be worth looking at adding to your existing resources.

Diane.

Yes Susan

I have been on the top start training and found it excellent - we went with teh promise that everyone who attened would get a free bag of the kit and the cards!! But surprise surpirise the LEA had npt budgetted properly and we are still waiting 18months later!! don't think we'll get it somehow! Even if i had had copies of the cards could have begged, stole and borrowed bits to carry out the actvities! but that was a no go apparently!

Sarah

We can borrow top start kits from either our local forum group or, check your nearest LEA nursery or school/s you feed into. Often they have them and are willing to lend them occasionally, in the interests of entente cordiale! I have also borrowed one of those sturdy platform benches from school. We looked incredibly foolish walking down the road with it mind you. Another good resource is the Westco Gym which has lots of component parts which the children can fit together to make balancing tracks, circuits. There are hoops which they can add to crawl through - endless possibilities. One of my Nursery mums (teacher) came and led a PE session for me and used lots of beach balls which was fantastic as they are easier to bounce and catch and they don't cost too much either (easy to store too!).

As I said before:

The contents of the TopStart bag are not that amazing.

I have not had the training, but my setting has the resource. Unfortunately, the trained staff member just gave me a fact sheet (get on with it!); this is not my style of learning.

I can see all ways to use the things therein (or improvisations). As I am sure you all can, too.

The TopStart bag has:

- a range of animal beanbags

- some soft cones

- some arcs that join together to make hoops

- hand and foot shapes

- squishy quoits

- circle shape beany things

The TopStart bag is a lovely thing, but most of us are already doing things with resources like this already. If anyone who has been on the training has some suggestions (or if anyone else has an imagination) - please post.

Diane.

Guest rhodessj

Hi All

I was looking at some resources the other day from Spectrum which included a fantastic elastic ring covered in brightly coloured fleece fabric (the whole thing can be put in the washing machine when necessary). The thing is expandable because its elastic and can be used for a variety of things. It costs around £45 (exc. VAT). Spectrum "push" it for special needs children, but it would work for both keeping the children sat in a specific area at circle time and for the physical activities. The other thing is of course it takes up NO space!!! I am desperate to buy one for our group.

Sandra :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)