Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Post Office

Guest Cath

We are setting up a post office as our structured play area this half term. (F/stage unit-3-5 year olds). I've only done it once before. So far we have walked to the nearest post box and posted cards they made for their parents/carers. We have invited one of the dad's who is a post man to be our 'guest speaker' and are having the usual-envelopes, stamps etc for sale. A post box and other writing resources in the writing area. We will cover weight through parcels....just wondered if anyone had any additional ideas/good ways of sustaining the children's interest?

Thanks

Cath :)

Hi Cath,

We're doing the Post Office in our role play corner, too. I was thrilled to find some great ideas at the following link (which I found in an earlier post here).

Herefordshire TeamClick on 'Documents from the Early Years team' and then 'Planning for play in the Foundation Stage' It's a huge document with masses of ideas including The Post Office.

Jess

Hi

I went to a seminar at the Early Years Exhibition last year entitled "Emergent writing skills" it was superb!

One of the suggestions was to have lots of application forms! We all get loads of junk mail with application forms and we were advised to take it into our settings, let the children 'fill them in' and use the pre paid envelopes and post it back!

Just thought it may be apt for your post office.

You have probably thought of it already but what about ink pads and "stampers"

We havent done a post office yet but we did have an airport and passport control had to stamp the childrens passports. Stamping was extremely popular and they all wanted a turn in passport control!!

Good luck.

You could also have the children wrap their parcels ready for posting.

They would have to gauge/measure how much paper they need to cover the box. Also add string or sellotape for fixing.

This could ( on second thoughts) be quite expensive - in terms of paper.....but if you have very flimsy paper that is no good for anything else then it would be a good way of using it up.

Thanks for your ideas-I can't believe I got a reply so quick! that website was a great link (have saved it to my computer for future reference and printed off the post office sections) I spend so long sometimes looking for ideas and just get a lot of rubbish so I was really chuffed with this link-thanks again. Cath :o

Dear Jess,

Thought I'd have a look at the link on the off chance... Yes!! A whole section about role play for the garden centre too! Thanks ever so much, have already decided a much better activity for tomorrow's literacy.

Dianne xxx

I saw a suggestion somewhere, where you use a sewing machine (with no thread) and "sew" parallel lines across paper, both horizontally and vertically, so you get little perforated boxes. The children can tear or cut along them and use them for stamps, drawing their own images, and price etc. One of those ideas I've always meant to try but never got around to :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)