Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play In You Classroom

Hi all

I have had an interesting discussion at school and wonder what all your children do when they are not working with an adult.

Our children currently have a jobs board with 6+ jobs- plus access to the outside with similar activities available..... this shows the sctivities out today and a suggestion of what you might like to do.... this is not policed by staff due to numbers and we find it hard to overview what the children are doing.... it has been suggested that if we are not assessing what the children are doing during an activity then whats the point.... I argue that in FS children are supposed to have access to CI play..... isn't that what we are doing????

I am feeling really fed up.... and so is my colleague.... having been judged by Ofsted as outstanding to now be told this isn't what should be happening.

So please share how you organise you time.... I can't have a floating TA as I have year 1 children you need support and an adult to work with them... so it is tends to be one adult and the recpetion children.

Sorry for the long post.

All ideas greatfully recieved.

Lorna

it has been suggested that if we are not assessing what the children are doing during an activity then whats the point.......

Thank god whoever 'suggested' this was not your Ofsted Inspector.

I can understand your demotivation, to get an outstanding and then have someone question 'the point' of what the children gain from CI must make you feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall.

It certainly appears that 'others' need some FS training, they are possibly pressured about statistics and 'evidence' etc, but not all aspects of the curriculum are measurable in a statistical way. For example the confidence, self esteem, developing independance, sense of self discipline gained through carrying out a self given task, self motivation, ability to make choices, to defer a choice, to engage with others just for the sake of it, how do you measure exploration, investigation and discovery of a persons self chosen aims, especially when those aims change mid way because of external interactions......'someone' needs a wider sperspectif on how children learn.

Are there underlying issues here, more about staff resources, maybe?

Peggy

Oh Lorna, I dont really know what to say!

If the system you have in place is working then I wouldnt change it!

I dont have a task board but I do allow the children to choose if they are not with an adult. You soon have a feel for what is going on and whether play is profitable or not.

The thing is... to us the children are actively engaged... although you do get some of the younger boys who flit or try and ruin others activities and we try and direct then to a more suitable activity or where possible have an adult engaged to develop play skills.

I just feel really fed up.... what more can we do if the children are activily involved, the activities are moved on and not just the same thing week in and week out.... I don't want to go back to the children being told what to do all the time or engaged by an adult.

I am right in thinking that the children should have 60-705 child initiated play at this stage in Reception aren't I?

The children work with an adult at least once, sometimes twice a morning and usually once in the afternoon or once over two afternoons.... so all children are seen twice a day at a guided activity.

thanks for reading this

Lorna

Hi Lorna - it sounds pretty much the same as what we do. It's always a juggling act with Reception but I wouldn't stress too much because all the children make good progress and they all want to come to school, so things can't be all bad! :D

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Lorna

I have R and yr1 and I do what you do!

I imput the class and have a task board and there are adult led tasks and independent tasks.I was observed by the HT this week and she could see at a glance from the board what was going on in the room.

The children even choose some of the tasks that are not planned and we quickly or they get the equipment sorted.

Do what you do and be confident in knowing the children are all engaged and learning through their activities all the things Peggy has mentioned.

Tinkerbellxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)