Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sensory Support

We have a child in our setting who had cataracts removed when she was a baby, from both eyes. She had to have special lenses put in her eyes to enable her to develop 'visual rehabilitation' and this could only be done by the parents so would have involved her parents coming in and out to administer eye drop medication and to deal with these lenses if they popped out.

Now the child is almost 3 and has to wear very thick glasses in place of the lenses. I am assuming that she is registered as being partially sighted, but I'm not too sure about this to be honest.

Anyway, we now have a lady that comes in regularly to talk to the people working directly with the child (she is in pre-school and I am in the baby unit) from the local Sensory Support Team. I was interested to know if anyone else had any experience in this area? I have to write (yet) another presentation, but this time on outside agencies coming into the setting and I thought this would be a good one to write about.

I have done a Google and come up with the reasons for children being allocated people from the SST but I don't really know, nor can I find any information relating to what their actual role with the child is. My colleagues aren't being very helpful or forthcoming with the information, so I am really relying on you all to help me out! It is also difficult trying to find a convenient time between them and me to discuss things.

I could do with some kind of information pretty quickly, so anyone that has any experience to share would really be a BIG help.

Thanks in advance

Could you get the phone contact number of the person who comes into your setting and talk to her at a time convenient to you and her, which doesn't impact on daily work. It is a shame that colleagues aren't being forthcoming and helpful but maybe they don't, as yet, feel confident enough themselves :o

Sorry, haven't actually had experience of this myself, hopefully someone else will be along soon who has.

Good luck.

Peggy

maybe you could also have a chat to the parents, out of work hours, to get their perspective of partnership with this particular outside agency.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)