Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Magnetism.

Does anyone have any planning for this? The children use the magnets independently testing for metal objects but I would also like to try some adult led activities using the magnets. I tried a link that someone put in a while ago but couldn't open it.

Many thanks.

There are a few ideas in the Kingfisher 'Fun with Simple Science' - Batteries and Magnets book.

Pulling Power - how strong are magnets? Does the size and shape affect its strength? Collect some different magnets, mark a scale on a piece of paper. Place a paper clip at one end of the scale and slide a magnet along from the other end. Mark where the magnet starts to pull the paperclip towards it.

Stopping the power - Find which materials block the magnets power.

Magnetic maze - Draw a maze on one side of a paper plate, get someone to hold the plate. put a paperclip at the start of the maze and use a bar magnet under the plate to guide it through the maze. You can time it.

Magnetic theatre - basically use a box to make a toy theatre with a gap of 4cm under the stage (hide this gap at the front). Make little figures out of folded card with a paperclip behind the figure. Tape a magnet to a thin stick and slide the stick through the false bottom of the stage and use this to move the figures around.

Magnetic dolphins - use 2 cut out dolphins and fix a cork and bar magnet to each of them. Float the dolphins in a bowl of water. What happens when you push the dolphins together? What happens if you turn one of the dolphins around?

Make a compass.

I must admit our ideas for magnets are fairly basic and lacking in imagination

we have a box of stuff and ask the children to sort the items into two sets magnetic and non magnetic, we hunt around indoors and outdoors who can find the most magnetic items

then theres the brio trains, magnetic fishing set (home made!), magnetic consruction blocks,

and then my brain stops....

like the ideas suzanne its got my grey cells working

Example of spontaneous learning: our children (pre-school) have access to magnets in child led time and use them regularly. They are always fascinated and keen to explore.... then last week when I was exploring the ocean drum with a child who was distressed and who finds it soothing, along comes a child with the large horseshoe magnet - together we became engrossed using the magnets to move the little ballbearings in the ocean drum. How cool is that?! Where was Mrs Ofsted when that was going on???!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)