Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning What Else!

Hi

I just thought id share with you ....

I have just spent 2 days on a planning course and it was fab!- if it works!

Basicallyy this is how it differs from mine

Existing planning

LTP shows SS we are aiming to cover over a 2 year period.

Celebrations

Festivals

Events

New suggestions

LTP is now our contionous provision workshop area sheets which shows all possible learning listed under the six areas of learning- quite in depth

and celebrations etc as above.

Existing MTP

Shows activities and SS we aim to cover

Now we dont necessary need a MTP however may if we plan an event that we wouldnt cover in

our LTP we MIGHT decide to introduce one if relevant!

Existing STP

Ours shows toys we get out for the week and we cross out and change showing the childs choice.

New

Form (called Interest sheets) showing workshop areas down one side columns blank which is completed for the individual child,

Ie Graphics workshop- in boxes put scissors for Billy(as it was observed he was struggling using them) and so on.

They said to target a group of children each week and all staff focus on them, obs etc review at planning meeting to meet their needs for the following week and so on

Focus Activity- we currently do one a day covering all 6 learning areas, they suggested one a week! And only to be based on groups of children whom need it ie during obs it was noticed that it wasnt ony Billy who needed help with scissors 4 others did so plan a focus activity to support all of them.

Lasty no topics, just child iniated learning

It was said that we shouldnt need to plan in any more detail as we are providing extensive learning if our environment - workshop areas are resourced effectively and are all stimulating.

It was so simple almost too simple I stayed behind afterwards and chatted with the trainer to make sure I hadnt nodded off and missed something!

Can anyone tell me if they are working along these lines and whether it works!

Hi

I just thought id share with you ....

I have just spent 2 days on a planning course and it was fab!- if it works!

Basicallyy this is how it differs from mine

Existing planning

LTP shows SS we are aiming to cover over a 2 year period.

Celebrations

Festivals

Events

New suggestions

LTP is now our contionous provision workshop area sheets which shows all possible learning listed under the six areas of learning- quite in depth

and celebrations etc as above.

Existing MTP

Shows activities and SS we aim to cover

Now we dont necessary need a MTP however may if we plan an event that we wouldnt cover in

our LTP we MIGHT decide to introduce one if relevant!

Existing STP

Ours shows toys we get out for the week and we cross out and change showing the childs choice.

New

Form (called Interest sheets) showing workshop areas down one side columns blank which is completed for the individual child,

Ie Graphics workshop- in boxes put scissors for Billy(as it was observed he was struggling using them) and so on.

They said to target a group of children each week and all staff focus on them, obs etc review at planning meeting to meet their needs for the following week and so on

Focus Activity- we currently do one a day covering all 6 learning areas, they suggested one a week! And only to be based on groups of children whom need it ie during obs it was noticed that it wasnt ony Billy who needed help with scissors 4 others did so plan a focus activity to support all of them.

Lasty no topics, just child iniated learning

It was said that we shouldnt need to plan in any more detail as we are providing extensive learning if our environment - workshop areas are resourced effectively and are all stimulating.

It was so simple almost too simple I stayed behind afterwards and chatted with the trainer to make sure I hadnt nodded off and missed something!

Can anyone tell me if they are working along these lines and whether it works!

This sounds very much like the way in which we operate. I am phasing out Themes, and next year we are concentrating on children's schemas. We are having an 8 week block of schemas rather than a theme. Finger's crossed it all goes to plan! :D

Hi Sharonash

Thanks very much for sharing this - this is exactly what I am trying to develop in my nursery & reception classes - and it is nice to know it is being recommended on a course.

Through much reading (nursery world) mostly had decided to make continuous provision area planning sheets the basis of my LTP.

Still fiddling with MTPs - working in a school and having teacher training background it is really hard to imagine not having MTPs although I have made mine more & more flexible as trying to do away with pre-planned topics and go with children's interests.

Information about STP really useful as this is stage we are really trying to implement - we have consistent system for observing focus group of children each week and are developing planning to show how we are responding to observations of individual children.

What we have done so far has worked really well - I still do have themes but there will be more than one running at once and they will run until the children have finished with them. The responses from the children to activities that have been developed from their interests has been fantastic - and parents are really interested as well.

The best example I have is of our 'superheroes' theme which developed from the children's interest in the summer term - some of the children who are still with us in the nursery have returned to this theme this term and continue to intiate many activities linked to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)