Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Money

Hi everyone!

I hope this doesn't seem like a silly post - here goes.

I come to this forum every day now, and can't imagine not having it. So my conscience is pricking at me - I should make some kind of donation. The thing is, I don't have a clue about how much to give. I don't want to give a silly little amount - it does mean a lot to me to be able to come here. But I don't want to give a huge amout due to my wretched poverty stricken state!!!

Any ideas, anyone? How much do you need to keep it going, anyone prepared to tell me how much that gave? Can I make it like a subsciption & give a bit each month? You get the general picture, please help!

Dianne xxx

Snap Diane!!

I got as far as clicking to make a donation and then thought arrgh!! how much?? and ended up contributing zilch!

I think the site quite honestly provides something money can't buy. I think the idea of a subscription of some form would be great.

I'm sure Steve and Helen would appreciate as much or as little as you can afford. Hence the "Foundation Stage Forum Saints"!!! We all have a budget and have to consider this. If you want to donate give what you can!

Linda

Hi -

That's a little bit spooky. I'd like you both to re-assure other readers that you're not personal friends and I haven't paid you to start this discussion off! :o

The fact is that, as we've mentioned in previous discussions, we have decided to introduce a subscription for full access to the site. We spent nearly a year trying to persuade local and national government organisations that a community such as this would be a valuable resource and support service for early years professionals. We also applied several times for funding from the likes of CfBT and lottery bodies, with the ambition to make it free for the users.

Although they all agreed that it was a great idea they were completely unable to come up with any sort of funding. We launched the first version of the site after the first few discussions, in an effort to get people to understand what we had in mind. Unfortunately it didn't change their mind, and we found ourselves with a rapidly growing and enthusiastic membership which we didn't want to (or dare, after comments from various members) shut down, but which we were funding ourselves.

At the end of last year we reluctantly decided that the only way to ensure it's long term survival was to re-build it and ask for a subscription to give full access. I've been spending the last couple of months working on a re-launch, and we hope to have this available before the end of April. We will be asking for a £20 annual subscription. (The amount was arrived at after long anguished discussions, and after recognising the low levels of pay of much of the profession, but also comparing it with trade journals and magazines which charge a minimum of £40 per year. If anyone has outraged opinions on the amount, I'd be very happy to receive them and you can PM me at any time)

So, I guess this is the first formal announcement that we're going to start a subscription fee, although hopefully many of you will have read previous discussions mentioning that we were probably going down this route.

Incidentally, the Paypal contribute button is a bit clumsy and requires that you register a username and password with them, so I do understand if people are put off by this. We're very happy for people to wait till the subscription is introduced, when we'll have a much more standard method of subscribing. In the meantime, if you do donate either by Paypal or by sending a cheque, you get given the honorary title of 'Official FSF Saint', you can contribute what you feel you can afford, and you obviously get let off the first year's membership.

Please feel free to discuss any of this either here or via email with me personally. Thanks for starting this discussion Dianne and Geraldine! We value active members enormously here - that's what we started the community for - and we hope you'll all stay with us as we try to build on what you've all done with this forum over the last year!

Best wishes,

Steve. :)

I must admit, I had been thinking along the same lines as Dianne!

Excellent, Steve, I had been feeling guilty about using the site without contributing.

Long may the Foundation Stage continue!

I will send a cheque (where to?)

Diane.

Thanks for the replies - and no, I don't know anyone else at all who contributes to the site (unfortunately!). Since I have a paypal account (as I'm a hopeless ebay addict) I'll make a contribution, & an perfectly happy with the idea of a subscription - £20 seems very good value to me! I don't feel the need to be 'let off' a new subscription - let this payment be an arrears thing for all the help I've got from the site over the past year.

Gosh, I've just read that through and I sound like an unbearable creep. I'm not, honest!!! :o

Dianne xxx

Neither am I Dianne I promise!!! and no I have never met Steve and he hasnt asked me to write this!!!

I wrote a cheque last night a blank one -- don't get excited! I mean blank in that I have not made it payable to anyone, well I cant just write 'Steve' can I??? I also wrote a brief note but have to admit on reading it again it does look a bit creepy! I said please accept the enclosed cheque as a contribution towards the cost of a superb site. Please do not forget to include me on the subscription list and treat my cheque as payment for services received so far!! I cannot truly explain how pleased I am I found the site nor put a price on what a valuable asset I feel it is.

Sooooo often in the past I have wanted an opinion on some aspect or other - soemtimes quite a big deal and other times just another point of view on a small issue. Okay I can talk to my colleagues, family and friends but that is not always possible. Inthe evening I may think of soemthing and intend to discuss it at work the next day but hey! why wait - pop in here post a message and lo and behold some wonderful people will reply. I find the broad mix of experience and settings extremely interesting.

Of course many members are also studying ( I am one) I have spent hours ploughing through a million or so back issues of various magazines to gain a different slant on various things - the gun play is a good example. I have it all here at the click of a button and simply couldnt ask for more.

I have self diagnosed myself as having fsf syndrome - a serious case of addiction actually and I am happy to have done so.

Oh and Steve 2 questions:

Who to make the cheque out to and where to send it please!!!!!

Right, off for a tutorial now and trying to get my brain tuned in to the conceptual frameworks, models and asscoiated discourses of inclusive education!! :o

Blank cheques - this is very exciting! :o

Thanks for those comments Geraldine! You both might worry that they sound a bit creepy, but as I've been living and breathing this community for the last year, it just makes me feel all warm and toasty...

You make a good point, however. If you're going to send cheques you need a name and address! If anyone would like to send cheques, blank or otherwise, you can make them payable to our newly established account:

The Foundation Stage Forum

and address it to me at:

Stephen Edwards

1, Southdown Avenue

Lewes

East Sussex

BN7 1EL

Many thanks to all of you who have posted. :D

As a very new member I am very impressed about the site and would happily pay a subscription. I cant wait to pass the details of the site onto my friends. :)