Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Formation Guidence For Parents

sarahpaterson

The DfES book 'Early writing' is pulished as part of the literacy strategy and has a page of letters with arrows on to show formation. The book is free - just ring up and asked for it. You may photocopy the page to give to parents.

difficult one I know but I would emphasise all the pre-writing activities for nursery aged children, as you say gross motor development etc.

I tell my parents that it is easier for a child to learn writing at school, when ready, rather than to unlearn a style that is incorrect and that is why we at preschool don't teach writing but we do prepare them by..............................encouraging their squiggles, praising and valuing their attempts, helping them feel confident that their marks are meaningful and not being told they are wrong ( undermining joy of mark making) and 'have to do it a certain way' .

Peggy

difficult one I know but I would emphasise all the pre-writing activities for nursery aged children, as you say gross motor development etc.

I tell my parents that it is easier for a child to learn writing at school, when ready, rather than to unlearn a style that is incorrect and that is why we at preschool don't teach writing but we do prepare them by..............................encouraging their squiggles, praising and valuing their attempts, helping them feel confident that their marks are meaningful and not being told they are wrong ( undermining joy of mark making) and 'have to do it a certain way' .

Peggy

I wish everyone was so wise Peggy it would make my life so much easier. :oxD Half of the year is spent unlearning incorrect letter formation. :(:(

Sarah what style does the schools you feed into use as this will be an important consideration if you decide to teach your children letter formation.

Hello all,

Thank you for your advise. I have downloaded the page with the letter formation to share with the parents- thank you Carol.

Our main feeder school uses the same formation as we do backed up by Jolly Phonics. We are working towards the same goal but wish that our nursery children can move at thier own pace and as suggested have thier mark making attempts recognised and praised for what they are.

With the support and understanding of he parents this will be a much easier job.

Sarah

We explain to parents some of the pre-writing skills children need to learn before they are ready to tackle letter formation and show them a progression of shapes children might master before they are ready. I also explain that whilst they might not be ready for letters we can help by showing them how to start at the top and go anti-clockwise when drawing circles as this forms the basis of so many letters. Often parents are happy to wait as long as they know they are doing something to help prepare them.

Sorry, I think I am being a complete idiot and cannot find the page with the letters on.

There are 4 documents to download. Which one and where is the page please?

Many thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)