Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Practical Addition Ideas Please

Hi all,

Long time since last post but here goes!

I need some new ideas for activities which encourage concept of addition also to include extending brighter children.

thanks guys!

I often use playdough. I have printed off and laminated several of the playdough mats from Sparklebox and made my own. On the ladybird one, the children have to make spots to go on the ladybird. They can then add up the quantity on each wing and maybe form the answer in playdough - (rolling a sausage and forming it into a numeral)

These mats could also be in the form of 2 plates of food - make a given number of buns on each plate, then find out how many altogether.

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/thumbs126-130/sb129prev.html

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/thumbs136-140/sb139prev.html

If you're encouraging children to add quantities together by counting on, a great idea is to use a metal money box. Put a given number of coins (say 3) in the tin and put the lid on so the children can't see them (although they're told how many are in there). Then ask them to add on "4 more" for example. They drop the coins one by one into the tin and as they hear them drop they have to count on from the number that was in the tin in the first place to find a total. eg 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

To extend this activity, you could have whiteboards and pens and ask the children to record what they have done, using correct notation if they know about it, or by recording with pictures and numbers.

You could play roll dice/collect objects - roll 2/3 dice add totals for higher ability, intro recording. Addition skittles/darts. Open ended activities such as how many ways can you make......? Or make it more closed by saying there are .....ways to make .....can you find them? I find that my higher ability struggle with reasoning skills and therefore include some strategies on this too - e.g. can you show me how you can work it out using a number line? your fingers? with cubes? etc. They could make a 'number story' book and share their 'expertise' with others in the class

There are some brilliant websites out there too - I'll post some if you like

I work in a nursery.so don't know if this is the sort of thing your looking for but we use playdough too; using bun tins! Fill some sections up and Use words 'How many have i got?', 'How many more do i need?', How many altogether? and then reverse it for taking away - it's great to see them doing it between themselves after in free play!

CupOT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)