Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Didn't Handle It Well

Hi all, had a bit of a werid morning at playgroup. A child had been absent for 3 sessions, i contacted the parent whom said her daughter had a cold, she would be returning soon. Ok so no problem there then. The child enters today, very happy, every thing appears normal, when leaving the mother informs me that her daughter had not been in as she had been playing up at home so her punishment was no playgroup. I really could not belive what i had been told, after picking my self up of the floor i weakly replied why what has happened, mum said she has been a pain, been rude & will not do as told .....& please can you change her reading book as she has had it for a week and she is bored with it now.... goodbye and was gone. Well unless i call at the childs home with our collection of reading books it's not going to get changed if she has not been in is it!

The child is a very able child when it comes to her numbers, letters etc but her social interactions really need encourging. I should have stressed this in a nice way & straight away but i didn't. I have never been in such a shocking situation first thing in the morning aswell! Any one got any ideas on how i can firmly but nicely get this point across?

I've had similar where parents have told me that they have said to their children If you don't behave I'll tell peggy" thus using me as a threat :o:( .

The only thing I can suggest as a first thought is to find a really parent user friendly leaflet on behaviour management and when you hand it to her say, I'm a bit concerned, your child is obviously quite intellegant and may associate being naughty as a means to have days off school when she starts in .......,maybe keeping her off preschool is not such a good idea, especially as the session is still paid for, why not try some different strategies in the leaflet.

worth a try. xD

Peggy

p.s. I think I would have been as speechless as you were, faced with the same attitude, so don't be hard on yourself for the way you did handle it at the time. :(

Peggy

Peggys suggestion is an excellent one Lesley. Just wanted to say that I think I would've been the same as you. I have had different situations where a parent has dropped something on you unexpectedly and I really don't think on my feet very well. :D I have become very adept at learning to approach parents later when I have had a chance to think through what I need to say! :)

Has any one got a leaflet on behaviour management? i have a policy but this is not really what i was looking for. I have a hand out some where giving ideas for parents to try , i've spent most of my day looking for it but can't find it!!

Hi Lesley

The NSPCC have some great leaflets for parents which you can either download or order from here. I have a copy of quite a few of these on my parents table in the entranceway. Perhaps you could order some for yourself and allow parents to borrow them.

It is difficult to know what to say when somebody drops on you like that-like Carol I often find it difficult to think on my feet and need time to think about what needs to be said. So don't give yourself a hard time-you probably reacted as most of us would.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)