Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Md Planning

I hope this doesn't upset anyone and that I'm allowed to name 'things' but I had a look at the Abacus numeracy plans for Reception and they're REALLY hard, I think. Now I'm worried that I'm making my MD whole class inputs too easy. However, I do plan from the ELGs, cross-referenced to the new numeracy framework. Does anyone know about Abacus/use it and do you think that it's set at about the right level (i.e. how we should all be working)?

We don't use a scheme in our school for maths. My friend used Abacus and she found it great in that she merely followed cards/plans and she didn't have to think for herself...I like to be creative though and would probably feel like I'm wearing a straitjacket!! It's probably personal preference though and obviously depends on your school approach too

Thanks - I absolutely agree with being 'straight-jacketed': I find it impossible to work from other people's plans. It's the level of difficulty that has got me worried. For example, children in the autumn term counting to 100 on a number square and having modelled how to write down and read addition problems. This is about as far away from what I'm plugging away at as it's possible to get! (we're working on understanding the concept of zero and recognising which of 2 groups has 'more' and which 'less' - a slight discrepancy there, methinks!)

Hi Moose,

I like Abacus! but only as a framework.

If you buy it, you can buy a Reception version or a Foundation Stage one, which is the one I prefer. I never followed it in its entirety but used it as a basis to ensure coverage. To follow it closely was not applicable to the largely EAL cohort I worked with but to mix and match F1 and F2 activities seemed to work well.

If you dont like Abacus, dont buy Collins-------that really is a straightjacket, even down to instructions "say".

:D Hi we use abacus but the Foundation Stage one. I find the on the carpet bit and what the can do at home useful, but the activities boring....so thats where my creativity comes into being.

It's the level of difficulty that has got me worried. For example, children in the autumn term counting to 100 on a number square and having modelled how to write down and read addition problems. This is about as far away from what I'm plugging away at as it's possible to get! (we're working on understanding the concept of zero and recognising which of 2 groups has 'more' and which 'less' - a slight discrepancy there, methinks!)

Hi Moose

We're doing the same sort of stuff as you :D I tend to follow the NNS but change bits to suit what's going on in the classroom. Some of my children can write their numbers but I am concentrating on practical real-life calculations rather than recorded work. (I still have two children who cannot write a single letter from their name!)

Don't stress cos you'll stress me too!! :D

I think Abacus is really advanced for most R children too. We have maths links too which is more child orientated - and I use that more. We dont record in maths till later in the year and just do lots of play based stuff aimed at getting the concepts in place - and aim for lots of talking about what we are doing - so later they feell confident to explain how they got the answer/ worked a problem out.

Some of my children love numbers and their patterns so I may have a number square out for them but others have no grasp of number at all. Most are fine with numbers in 10 and some are having a go towards 20.

:)

I looked at the Abacus stuff and what they were doing was way above what my children were capable of. I use the strategy for a framework, but as ASPK says change things around so it ties in more with other things going on, eg. we did a week on shape work because it tied in with our fireworks we were making - though overall we'll cover the elements over the half term. As Marion says the numeracy booklets are good, nicely laid out activities which tie in directly with a learning objective - and differentiated.

Thanks everyone - glad it's not just me who's plugging away at a much lower level! I do use the numeracy booklets and find them useful. I got mine in the 'lunch box' format!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)