Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home Visits

I am currently developing our 'settle-ins' for new children. How many of you make Home Visits before a child starts? What are the implications of this, and do you have a Policy, e.g. is it just one person who visits - if so, what is your lone working policy? What happens during the visit?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Hi Shelley, there have been quite a few discussions on this topic. try a search using 'home visits'.

I do home visits for every new child, normally arranged after they have visited the preschool. I go on my own sometimes and other times with my deputy ( daughter).

It is better with 2 people for safety and so one can play with child whilst other talks to parent.

I think they are very useful. I gain so much more info about the child and family and parents have a good opportunity to discuss any worries, concerns etc plus it really helps with the childs settling in.

If you need any more info after reasing previous posts, just ask. :D

Peggy

We make a display of the photos in our story corner and Cresta the class cat sits beside them .The children look at them all the time when they first come to nursery(sometimes mums /dads are on them too)They talk about the photos to each other and it promotes lots of interaction.I also have a copy put into their home school files .Over the years I have found that as the children move through the school they dont forget that we visited them at their home.I am a firm believer in the benefit of these visits,so good luck to everyone who is thinking about doing them.No-one has ever refused to have us and we have even been asked back :)