Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can We Keep A Child Back Onbtt

Hi all

We have a child at Nursery who was three over the summer. he has given cause for concern as he has poor speech, doesn't respond appropriatley to instruction unless given in one or two clear words. and due to his frustration bites other children. He does not interac t with the other children and when trying to find out what he knows e.g colours looks at us blankley and just repeats what we say. The cluster SENCO has been in and we are waiting for referral forms for assessment by the EYAT.

He has recently had grommets inserted which we hoped would make a difference but hasn't.

My supervisor is now asking me can we keep him back on birth to three matters, i don't know if we can do this :o

Any advise appreciated have phoned cluster senco for help but to no avail xD

Hi

I would, and do. Just because a child is 3 doesn't mean that they suddenly conform to being a 3 year old. All children are different and should be treated as such. Bttm is fine and surely the most appropriate for the child?

We have a child who is at a similar development level with regards to PSE and CLL development ( CLL for thinking). He was 4 yrs old in November. Within these areas of development he is still being supported at and working towards meeting the BTTM framework. However, within maths he is in some areas within the green band of FSC, He recognises and names numbers up to 10, he can sort to a variety of functions etc.

The area senco did an observation recently and identified next steps to work on were on behaviour and disposition.

So I agree with others, and would add the curriculum should fit the child and not the other way around.

We have found visual prompts have helped a lot, ie: he struggled to sit for a story, so I toojk a photo of him when he was sitting appropriately ( ie: not chewing his laces) and now if he fidgets I just point to the picture and he sits legs crossed arms folded without me having to keep saying his name or repeating the required behaviour. :D

Peggy

In my area, myself or the parents can self refer for speech assessment / therapy, is this the same in your area? The child I have also had delayed speech ( echoic) but after receiving speech therapy during the summer he has come back this term with progress in this area, which is helping with his communcation with his peers.

Maybe this could be a starting point for you whilst you wait for Area senco to arrange other assessments.

Peggy

I see you are from kent, well I attended SENCO training just last week and the afternoon session was led by the local Speech therapist, she even handed out self referral forms, and she told us that in wales it is a 2 year waiting list and that in Kent we are lucky because it is only a 6 WEEKS waiting list.

Is there any way you could chase it up for the parent. The Speech therapist are employed by what is now called the Eastern and Coastal Kent NHS ( as you can see I am in East kent, if you are not maybe the parent could travel if the service can be accessed sooner in east kent???)

If you PM me I can give you the address.

peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)