Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Advice Please

HI

well as i was flicking through the local paper i saw a job for a fulltime nursery manager, in a neighbouring town (30 mins drive from me). the salary is £2,500 more than what i am on now (and that is lower scale)..... should i go for it?... they also want someone that wants to achieve eyps which i want to do.....

However, i am mostly happy where i am.... and have only been manager three months there.... and i do like it, and it is local.....

but the other job is more money, top end of there scale is £5,000 more than i am on now... but is further from home.....

hmmmm, what to do?

what would you all do... bearing in mind that i am happy in my job at present.

thoughts please.

Dawn

Probably stay where you are for now................if I was interviewing, i'd want to know why you were considering leaving your present job after only 3 months and would wonder about your comittment to the new group, if you got the job.I would also suggest you think about the extra travel..........thats an hour a day, so an hours worth of extra petrol etc, plus being tired at the end of a day and having to face half an hours drive home.There will always be better paid jobs coming up, so I'd say.......for now, enjoy being where you are,get more experience, build up your c.v. and be fair to the children and staff you are currently working with.i don't mean to sound snotty, so forgive me if that's how I come across, just saying it how I see it!! :)

Personally I wouldn't underestimate the 30 minute drive each way, each day. Is that weather, traffic/permitting? But then I'm rather spoilt, I have a 5 minute walk!!!

The grass is not always greener and all that. The setting will have it's own problems/demands.

But don't listen to me, I'm a bit of a stick in the mud!

As an owner I would ask why you were looking to leave your present job after such a short time. This would not necessarily be looked on as a negative thing but I would need to know if it was a commitment matter. As an owner I would obviously want somebody who would commit for a while-I realise that circumstances change but need to know that whoever I take on will be there for a while. The children need stability and so do the other members of staff.

Why are you looking for another job if you are happy where you are? Was it just out of curiosity or do you feel that you need to move?

Linda

Perhaps you could go for a visit to get the 'feel' of the new place? Also it would give you an idea of the journey, traffic etc. I live in the country so have always had a half hour trip to work. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

HI

Thanks for your thoughts everyone,

I was not looking for a job as such, i guess its a habit to flick thorugh the local paper and i always glance at the jobs. I normally look to see which other nursery is advertising locally, for possible threats of my staff leaving LOL xD and my curiosity spied the managers job.

Narnia,

I don't think your response sounded snotty at all, :D i actually agree with your view point. I know when i took the job where i am now i made myself a promise to commit for at least two years, for myself and the children (and parents). prior to getting my job i had 'job hopped' a couple of jobs so had little consistency in sticking at a job after leaving uni (prior to leaving uni i had been consistently emplyed for 6 years, so have some commitment shown on my CV). But yes im only three months in at my current place, and i do like it there.

Shelley,

I also see your point, no harm in applying, could always turn it down couldn't i???? (that's assuming they offered it me)

Deb,

I think the travelling could grind me down potentially. and i definetly agree the grass isn't always greener on the other side :o

Linda,

i think your also 'right' in your opinion, and if i was an owner i would also question the commitment of someone that was looking for another job after three months.

Sussanne,

That sounds a good suggestion, and something i would consider if i did decide to apply.

If i am honest the only reason i would be applying would be for the extra money, and i think that that is most definetly the wrong reason to apply. I do like it where i am, i feel close to the children, and like i am just about winning the resopect of parents and staff, which initself has been at times hard to achieve.

Money isn't everything is it???,

Maybe i should stop reading the job section of the paper, LOL

I think i owe it to the children to stay where i am for a while, a better paid job will come along again in a few years i am sure.

Dawn

job satisfaction is in some ways as important as the extra money. From reading your previous posts it is clear that you have made a lot of positive changes in your nursery and you still have so much to give. Wouldnt it be great for you to carry on and see the long term advantages of your good work xjojmx

I think that is a wise decision Dawn, you have worked so hard to impliment your changes it would be a shame to walk away and not reap the benefits of your hard work.

I think we always keep an eye out for that perfect job that doesn't really exist,

I do it with boots!! :o I always find the dream pair of boots that I have been looking for all my life and then the next week I find another pair, just glad I don't commit myself and buy all those pairs over the years!! xD

Isn't this a great place to 'comtemplate' getting others perspectives to either challenge or endorse your own thoughts. :D:D

Dawn, why not let your boss know what other settings are offering in wages and training / professional development opportunities. ie: have you seen......? or maybe not let him/her know that you scan the job section. :o

seriously, you could ask your present employers about wanting to go down the EYPS route and see if they can support you in this, it will benefit both yourself and the company. :D

Peggy