Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Finger Nails

Do any of you have issues with staff getting their nails done, meaning that they are long, and perhaps dangerous for when working with children?

Has anyone had to enforce a rule about this?

Advice please!

When I was at nursery, we had it in our contracts that nails had to be kept short for health and safety purposes - not only for the children, but for the sake of the staff too. We were not allowed to wear nail polish and only wedding and engagement rings were allowed (again for children and staff safety)

If this issue has arisen, perhaps you could have a quiet word with the member of staff or say that you have reviewed the health and safety policy and propse some changes and see what the staff think is reasonable at a staff meeting? Be careful not to single out one member of staff though as it could lead to more trouble!

It's several staff. It's "the way we've always done things here" - there seem to be a lot of those I am very quickly learning! Curse the old manager!

:D Oh, Shelley, i smile when i read some of your posts.... i hear that "it's the way we have always done things here" line all the time LOL....

Luckily i don't have problems with staff's nails.... but ask them who put the metal fork in the microwave and low and behold they all deny it LOL...... anyone wanna exchange staff

Dawn :o

It's several staff. It's "the way we've always done things here" - there seem to be a lot of those I am very quickly learning! Curse the old manager!

Gently point out that it's for THEIR health and safety too..............remind them threadworms are carried under fingernails and then transmitted to their food.... that should have them reaching for the scissors!! But, they should be thinking of the children, long nails are simply dangerous and shouldn't be allowed I'm afraid.i wouldn't let my staff have long nails.My own are just to the top of my fingertips and no more.And the old "we've always been allowed/done it this way" bleat makes me quite cross.It doesn't mean it's right, or good practice..

We don't have an issue or a policy but I would have thought long nails would be rather dangerous and likely to harbour all sorts. I saw someone with really long nails once on a course and could not understand how she could work with children with such long nails.

We're not allowed long nails in my netball team as it's dangerous. Umpires ask all players to hold up their hands, underside facing the umpire. If nails can be seen they must cut before the player is allowed on court!

I want to know their secret, :o , during the summer break my nails grow to a nice length, within 2 days of being back at preschool they are chipped, broken, flaked and stay short without a pair of scissors in sight. xD

Maybe it's something to do with all the playing in sand, water, paint, earth etc, not to mention all the washing up, mopping and sweeping my hands do. :(

Even when my deputy managers nails were quite short a child managed to 'run into' her hand and get a scratch on his face, just missing his eye. :( Her nails are now very short and filed to a smooth finish :(

peggy

a lot of false nails I presume??? My daughter is forever having her nails done, they do look very beautiful, admittedly, but it costs a fortune and I wouldn't be able to allow them into the group if she worked for us!! But Peggy, I agree with you..................mine are always lovely when we're closed for holidays, but give us a couple of days back and they look very grotty!

I want to know their secret, :o , during the summer break my nails grow to a nice length, within 2 days of being back at preschool they are chipped, broken, flaked and stay short without a pair of scissors in sight. xD

Maybe it's something to do with all the playing in sand, water, paint, earth etc, not to mention all the washing up, mopping and sweeping my hands do. :(

With my very cynical 'first day back at work after holiday' head on - it's because staff with beautiful nails DON'T play in the sand, water, paint etc let alone attempt to wash up!! :(

Are they actually doing their jobs properly!!! I'm like the rest of you my nails grow duriing the holidays but you only have to plat in the sand for half hour and they are ruined.

I would find them all the dirtiest and grottiest jobs to do and may be the £30- £40 on a manicure might seem badly spent.

Thats apart from the danger side. If they start quoting that they've always done it like that then just say that your risk assessment on the subject says they are dangerous!!!! I've had accidents where even a child's short nails have grazed and cut another children so if theirs are long they must be like an eagles talons just waiting for an accident to happen. they have been lucky so far, and s**'s law that will change now that you are in charge. That's the way my luck goes any way xD:o

Want the very best story on this one????

I once briefly worked for possibly the most dire manager ever!

One Friday she was going away for the weekend, but hadn't been able to get an appointment to renew her false nails .....what did she do???

You got it!!!

Got the nail technician in to the Nursery, to remove, replace and varnish nails.

Have you ever smelt even any part of the process?? Where's the big green smilie??

Now, I ask you? That's what I (DON'T!) call professionalism

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)