Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Temperature!

senlgh

Does anyone know if there is still a minimum/maximum temperature in playgroups. We've looked in the Standards, and it just says "adequate"

Can anyone remember what it is, or isn't there one anymore?

(Heaters broken, we wnat to know when we send them home!!)

Found this on another website

Do not confuse a recommended temperature with a minimum working temperature they are different. You would only be able to close a pre-school setting if the temp fell below the minimum working temperature 16*c according to The Workplace Health, Safety & Welfare Regulations 1992, I have not come across anything relating to children.

and this

National Nursery Association website states the min. temp. should be 18C

Think as usual there are a few different answers to the same question.

hi

we have had a lot of problems like this.. closed the pre school on lots of occasions as the temp didnt get above 60 degrees.

I was told that the min temp should be 18c but basically it was down to the staff being comfortable working at lower temps and putting notes up to say wrap your children up warm if you want to leave them in nursery while the temperature was low.

Hi

I did read in the day care national standards that the min temp for nurserys is 18c and the maximum is 21c. this was some time ago and i cant find my copy off hand but i know i remembered these as your important birthdays!

i dont know if it would be the same for a play group but would assume so. i guese the main thing to consider is the health/safety and comfort of the child in a cold room.

Are the staff happy to work in such cold temperatures and are they doing a proper job?

julie.