Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

5 Groups

I am struggling with the organisation of my class of 30 which I have split mine into 5 groups. For each session (morning/afternoon) I have 1 focused and 1 teacher-initiated activity which I want all the children to do (differentiated as necessary). However, I find it almost impossible to find a system of ensuring all the groups get a turn on each without some mind-boggling system. The outdoor area also adds to my difficulties - if I let all the children who are 'free' to choose to go outside then when we swap over it takes me about 10 minutes to find the children I need, then for them to come in, take their coats of, then I have to remember when they come back into the classroom to direct them to the tables. How do other people cope with 30 children? I do literacy or numeracy mornings and other areas of learning in afternoon sessions.

Thanks

Green Hippo.

Hi

I too have a class of 30 and seem to be constantly changing how I organise them, due to doing whole class activities such as assemblies,write dance, hall time, and computer suite time. Here is how I do it at the moment

Before Break:Topic based activities 1 adult led, 4 adult directed with 1 adult to float and observe

After break: Jolly phonics then children free choice whilst I do individual reading/ letter formation

PM: usually a number time teacher led activity with a choice put on tables which children can choose to access or follow their own ideas.

The groups rotate on the carousel of adult directed activities and as they mature and are able to cope the number time follows this as well. I know its not perfect but at least we all know where we are and what we are supposed to be doing.......I hope :o

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me with regards to my timetable. I also have a class of 30 but I have 15 Rec (12 of whom are part time - mornings only) and 15 Yr 1 - I am really struggling with my orgnisation of the day and would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance

Kt

Hi, I think your feelings of uncertainty are normal. I have never yet reached a position where I have been entirely happy with my classroom organisation of 30 children. I have usually worked with 5 groups of 6 though as you indicate, but not for all activities ----activity or needs may mean they change slightly. Also the number of adults will determine what you can do.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 1 teacher initiated and 1 focused activity though, arent they the same?

You need to look at what you are demanding of the children and how they are reacting to those demands and adjust accordingly. Dont forget that as they grow and mature they will be able to cope with more complex routines and demands.

Katie, Im sorry I do not have any experience of a mixed age group but can imagine that this must be difficult especially when some of your reception children are full time and some not. I would imagine that you need to prioritise your activities and have a core that all children follow?

Thank you all for your help so far. Susan - focused activities are the 'teacher directed' activities where an adult will direct the children through an activity, teacher-initiated activities are independent activities where I ask the children to do something on a table but I won't sit with them and direct them through it. I then have continuous provision which is mostly child-initiated (I often suggest ideas linked to what we are doing for 1 or 2 of the areas if appropriate).

How do you organise your children - what sort of activities do you offer? I have been advised by my early years advisor to plan continuous provision on a weekly basis and to always have some basic equipment and resources that are always available and add enhancements as necessary. Is this similar to others?

Thanks again,

Green Hippo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)