Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Talk To Parents

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi I'm sure weve been here before but I can't find anything.

I am doing the talk to parents about reading and how they can help on Tuesday .I did have a folder and sheets for them but have lost them on another laptop at school!

I also feel that my old talk will need to change slightly to put a little more emphasis on 'phonics' and not so much about using alsorts (the searchlight method)of strategies.I am going on our LEA's course on phonics in two weeks so that will be interesting!

Thanks Tinkerbellx

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and did the same - more phonics emphasis. I think there is a good leaflet on the sure start site. We talked about all the strategies though, and had a big push on making it fun, choosing your time and little and often etc. We also talked about the importance of talking about the text as the basis of early comprehension. Our literacy co-ord did the talk with me and she had the idea of covering the title with a strip of paper with symbols for each letter - sort of squiggles - to show the parents what the children see when shown first and how difficult it is - it was visual and a fun way to start the talk. Good luck! :)

We have done something similar in the past giving the parents handouts in a variety of languages and alphabets and codes before handing out the english version.

If you use Jolly Phonics to teach phonics they will provide free information sheets for parents available to order from their web site.

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks everyone ,you are a brilliant lot (I have just been out for an hour)

Iv'e got the Jolly phonics stuff and taken the relevant stuff forthe parents eg the hand actions sheet.Thanks Marion

Moose your notes are lovelythank you so much for sharing

Tinkerbellx

Guest tinkerbell

Hi all

Just to let you know that my reading talk was great,10 lots of parents out of 14.They loved the talk (thank you Moose I adapted yours) I made a couple of smart board slides and moved things around which always impresses them.

Tinkerbellx

Thanks especially to Moose for those notes. I have been thinking may be it would be useful to follow up initial Jolly Phonics introductory stage with a what next talk. Great ideas. :)

AOB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)