Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oh College Is Making Me Mad...

beth1

Today I have been to college :D , enjoyable day until tutorals. :o Next week we are doing dance don't ask why!! :( Anyway I asked about placement hours, we have to do 400 in one year 2 days per week. She said that I had to write down what hours I am doing on placement, but not told me when all my hours have to be in by e.g. June 07. Now this is the problem I can only work on placement Mon/Tues and every other Mon I have to sign on for benefits. xD

Also in schools they only work for so many hours as student e.g. 8.30 til 3.30 term time only. Were as in Children Centres/DN hour vary but usally 7.5 or 8 hour days. :wacko: Now I am better off cancelling school placement and going into one of the Childrens Centres/Day Nurseries in my area just to make up my hours? xD:( I am ment to start at the school placement week commening 12/11/06. :(

Sorry to rant on but I am feeling a bit annoyed work and college wise. Thanks in advance for any advise. :)

Beth

I also forgot to mention that I need to be working within the birth to 5 years old range e.g. early years settings.

Beth

Edited by beth1

Can you not make up your hours by working in a Holiday club during the holidays this might also give you a different age group to work with. don't know if that helps

over a 38 week school year to do 400 hrs means about 10.5 hrs placement per week. Could this not be done by one day in school, reception which gives you the upper age range and then a morning or afternoon session in a preschool, parent and toddler club, after school.

If we count that 8 weeks have already passed this year, this time needs to be raised to 13 hrs per week, or as steph suggests you have holiday clubs to make up any shortfall in hours.

If I were you I would stick to the school placement offered whilst you look to for another sessional placement.

When you sign on, does this take all day? Ask the school if you can just do a part day on these Mondays.

Peggy

i find it so puzzling that different colleges expect different things!!!! surley if we are all doing the same degree then all the rules should be the same!!!! we have a student who has just lostr her job!!! she has been told that weather its voluntary or paid she has to work 0.5 per week!!!!!

i find it so puzzling that different colleges expect different things!!!! surley if we are all doing the same degree then all the rules should be the same!!!! we have a student who has just lostr her job!!! she has been told that weather its voluntary or paid she has to work 0.5 per week!!!!!

What just half an hour/day per week? :( Well we have to do 400 hours in our first year equates to a mininmum of 2 days per week. In the school I will probley do around 8.30 til 3.30 but every other monday will be 10.00 til 3.30 and thats if they want to take me on board, also I have a dentist appointment that I cannot change as its been changed once. :o

The school that I may be going to can only let me come 2 days per week(other students in on the other 3 days). So when I spoke to my personal tutor I got the feeling that she wants me to be in a CC/DN so I can make up any time lost by doing an extra day etc. :(xD Well if you think about it working in a CC hours will be 7.5 per day and DN will be 8 hours per day compared to working around 6 hours on average per day in a school and with school hols included.

Now I also looked into working hours in a paid job. On an average 30 hour week paid work should take around 14 weeks to compete all 400 hours. But then I took my appointments into account which then took it to about 16 weeks to complete all 400 hours. :wacko: Now wheres this job hiding. :(

I think I should email my mentor to update her on what happened at college yesterday. xD

Beth