Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Covering Elgs

When free flow was introduced we were told to abolish our Long term plan and medium term plan and just to follow the childrens interests and plan fone day for the next day

Do you do this and does it work?

How do you ensure you cover the ELGS? Do you not plan to cover any?

Do you watch the children and then plan for the activities that will be out for the next day?

How can everyone be involved in planning if we are doing it the night before and it doesnt give us enough time to get resources?

Does anone have a planning sheet example based on the childrens interests?

We used to have a short term plan which was more of a toy rota and wa told not to even use this how do you stop the same toys from being used?

Planned_activity_weekly.docPlanned_activity_FS.docHI i think we do it like yours.

we plan with children's interests, in terms of what toys we have. we then use observations from when we observe the children to give us an idea of interests and we use that info for our daily plans.

ie if a group of children love cars, but avoid paint we would add cars to the paint.

staff fill out the weekly planning sheet (attatched) daily.

they then do a daily plan. some rooms plan daily for this other rooms plan one week in advance. always making sure their observations of the children follow the planning. our planned activity (secoind sheet attached) shows the stepping stones we plan to cover for that activity.

At the end of the topic manager and staff evaluate the overall plan. I (manager) collate all the stepping stones they cover throughout the topic and this is given to staff at end of topic so they can see any strong or weaker areas.

hope that makes some sense?

Dawn

So am I right in saying you plan the activitity a different one each day? is this a focus activity? and you choose the ELGS/Stepping stones that are being covered, if so how do you decide on what ELGs you are going to cover?

Sorry to be thick its been a long day- the column planned/activity/observation are you writing the obs in here or the activity details?

Do you have a Long/Medium term plan thats shows ELGs on it?

Do the staff then choose their toys/activity based on the childrens observations from a previous day/week?

Do you have a daily routine if so could you send me a copy? We have had at least 20 routine sheets since starting free flow? Do you incorporate rsinging time, circle time etc, do you stop the children from playing to do such routines?

Have a look at sueR's blog. She has some interesting ideas and you might be able to get another perspective?

Also re all your posts tonight, dont try to change everything at once and give the children time to settle and adjust too. Move back to where you were comfortable and rethink, ie change rooms and then planning or vice versa but not both together.

i found the norfolk plans (psoted on this site somewhere previously, but can,t find it, so here is weblink: http://www.norfolkesinet.org.uk/pages/view...sp?uniqid=2158) brilliant. i have used this format as a medium term plan and then adapted to suit myself and the children, both daily and weekly. I always plan one focus activity that works on a rotation with an adult and one other, often inependent. the rest is set up either by me (from planning) or the children - adult available to support them setting up about 50% of resources. On a friday, one of the groups is responsible for ssetting up all of the non-focus activity resources, with an adult to assist and extend. On a Thursday afternoon we have a review of the week where the children tell me what they have enjoyed and why, and although we have done obs and assessments through the week, this is quite enlightening and the children clearly enjoy this sharing of their opinions. they get beetter at justifying their comments as the year goes on! I only do one rotation a week at the moment, so free choice activities do have to relfect the ELGs wheere they are selected by me. I do this by spreading the ELGs over the year with lots of repetition. The thursday review and our assess will influence planning for the following week, but if the children are running wiht an idea, i will adapt plans for that day and be really flexible, you can always meet the ELG/stepping stone in another way at a later date if the kids change your plans! I am in reception by the way.

Hope this helps!

Kellsa :oxD:(

HI

So am I right in saying you plan the activitity a different one each day? is this a focus activity? and you choose the ELGS/Stepping stones that are being covered, if so how do you decide on what ELGs you are going to cover?

Yes diffferent planned activity each day, we then choose the stepping stones in accordance with what the activity will provide. I,e yesterday we did cleaning the fish and we had at least two steping stones in each area. so basically our planned activity decides the the stepping stone we will cover... but if from our observations we have identified a focus area that needs working on, ie colour recognition we may get the compare bears out and sort them etc... does that make sense?

Sorry to be thick its been a long day- the column planned/activity/observation are you writing the obs in here or the activity details?

here we write what the planned activity was, so yesterday we wrote cleaning the fish , and then you go to the planned activity sheet for more details of what that activity involves. the 'observation' part ids for our under three rooms where they do two focused observatioins a week rather than a planned activity. (cuts down on paper work for them, but our pre-school room (because they are funded) do a planned activity every day).

we write the observations on a seperate sheet... the planned activity sheet i attatched yesterday shoyuld have had a table at the end with three coloums and some rows, these colums said 'child's name, observation and next steps' we fill this out as we observe a child doing the planned activity.

Do you have a Long/Medium term plan thats shows ELGs on it?

erm, yes and no i think LOL... our long term plan is based around environment areas... i posted them on here agaes ago (adapted from an original post put here by someone else) so our long term plan looks a little like this.... it will have a sheet of A4paper per area, ie book corner, this will then be split into the 6 areas of FS and in each area we write what we feel the area develops ... ie handles books carefully. (adult to support ecxploration and discovery of books)... this identifies our awraeness of how the environment provides for all areas of learning and how staff can aid to facilitate it....

we then do a brainstorm of craft ideas for the topic... but our plans are very much dicattated by children's needs, interests and observations.

Do the staff then choose their toys/activity based on the childrens observations from a previous day/week?

yes, as i said if we notice a child likes cars but not paint we would add cars to paint and encourage child do play in paint with cars. another day a staff membere noticed a child's onterests in wheels, but lack of interest in mark making so she added trains to paint.... hey presto this child was throually engaged....

we also put out toys to balance children's choice.... ie if children choose all construction we would put out some small world or puzzles etc....

children are allowed to re-select toys at any time and if they want dresisng up all day then that is fine.

Do you have a daily routine if so could you send me a copy? We have had at least 20 routine sheets since starting free flow? Do you incorporate rsinging time, circle time etc, do you stop the children from playing to do such routines?

we do have a daily routine it is on the computer at work, if i can get a disk i will copy it and e-mail it over.

it is simple really though, we have arrival time, snack time, group time, outdoor play, inside ~ children's choice, planned activity, lunch, rest time (20 mins listening to stroy tape), planned activity continues, more children's choice, outdoor play, inside, more children's choice... start chart time, tea time, children's choice (staff to evaluate plans daily)....

we do have two group times a aday....morning, welcome time... afternoon star chart time...

children are never made to do a planned activity, but are encouraged... if children don't wish to doa n activity we make a note of it and believe that indoing that we are also getting an observation in itself. :o

hope soem of that made sense, excuse the spelling errors, its early LOL

Dawn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)