Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toys/resources In Rooms

Hi everyone

PLEASE help Ive had another bad day! WE CANT GET THESE ROOMS RIGHT WE SPEND SO MUCH TIME CHANGING ROOMS AROUND ITS A NIGHTMARE!

We have2 largish rooms which cater for 20 children.

2-5 years.

We have introduced free flow play from 10am -each morning to give the children time to settle and so that we can have some seperate times with the older children giving them a bit more structure and workshop areas,

the front room - was used for 3-5 years and has a pc in it graphics area, role play as in travel agents etc not home corner, creative area ie paintings and some books near a carpet.

Lots of maths bits compare bears etc

One staff member today was so tearful saying its a mess and she feels the children are bored as there is no fun in the room.

The back room

used to be used for 2-3 years and still is for the first hour and a half each day

Workshop areas in here are home corner, sensory and malleable, floor play with construction and small world item- not many as we were told to restrict the amount of toys the children have access to.

The front room has no real toys can anyone help with ideas and suggestions and if you use workshop areas how are they arranged do you seprate children etc .

Even input on this free flow play do you feel I ought to open up free flow from 8am?

How do you give your older childre more structured time?

Does this make sense?

Imsorry Ive been at nursery for 13 hours today and feel as though I have got knowwhere

I feel for you. We have spent a lot of time in our nursery getting free floww operational. (Our free flow is between in and out. It has caused mush heart seaching and controversy. All I can say is that you have to find your own way that works for your setting. We are all inundated with ideas and suggestions from training, advisors, ofsted etc. but at the end of the day you have to be true to the ethos of your own setting. So take some of the advice but not necessarily all of the advice. Free flow is working well but only after considerable adjustments. It doea not happen overnight.

hi Sharonash.

You mentioned that you dont do med/long term plans??

also we have a very similar set up and we found that breaking up the room so that the children coulnt run around.

i.e we have put a double easel across the first bthird of the room and a table with actity on acros 2nd 3rd.

we have tables for focussed activity which is from 9.45 - 10.20 ( but as children finish they can choose so not sitting for all that time 10/15 mins max)

I do not see how you can be expected not to plan for each daily activity.

We do have free flow play but we just call it freeplay time.

sorry spelling gremlins again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)