Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help And Advice

beth1

Heelllpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Last week I had an interview for a job, it was a informal afaire, then straight into induction for the job. I also remember I told them I wanted to think about it but they carried on regardless. :( Now I am stuck as also I told college that i will be working there from next week, and gave my placement up. The job is for 3 days per week on NMW along with level 2 nursery assistants over the age of 22 years old, I am a level 3 nursery nurse with 3 years experience! xD

My feelings are that the job as been put upon me, what I said to them was totally disreagred, will I end up in the baby room as I have been told by a student on my college course who works there also. Which nursery wil I work in (it's a chain of 3 nurseries). i also feel 'bullied' into making a rushed desion. The only good things are that it is paid job, and the hours fit in well with my course.

Now today I have been trying to ring up this nursery to talk to the interviewer, I am becoming very annoyed as there is eather left ringing or engead tone. So I need you help to solve this problem that I in if possible, I am trying to find a way round everything as also I have an induction at the end of the week, due to the fact that not all the paperwork was there in the interview. This fact is making very weary of if they do have what i am missing.

Sorry it is longwinded any help would be appricatied.

Beth

where do you want to work? you don't sound happy about this place! Is the money so amazing that you have to work somewhere you already don't like? If you are getting two jobs offered so easily you seem to be very employable.

Perhaps you shouldnt listen to the person who said baby room - how does she know that if you dont even know which nursery it is!

sit down and write down in two columns - for and against each of the choices - see if that helps you to see what you want - then do what you feel is right

VeeCee

go with what fits in with your life style. Have you had anything in writing. go and see them and ask for clarification as you feel that the job has not be defined well enough for you. Explain that you are already a level 3 nursery nurse, and ask if they had misunderstood what you were looking for in the job.

Change it around so that you are interviewing them for what you want. if you don't you won't stay in the job long because you won't be happy doing it. don't be rushed good luck

Hi Beth

If I remember correctly, did you need a job to, amongst other things, keep your place on a college course?

As others have said, it sounds like you need further clarification, and you may have been rushed a bit. They could be in a bit of a hurry to find someone, if the phone is not being answered. Would have thought you would have had something in writing too.

Make a list of questions, go back there if necessary if they don't answer the phone and ask for another chat, interview them - will you be in the baby room, which nursery? Is there a head office to try to get some information from?

I would act now, not leave it till Friday.

They do say it's easier to get a job if you're in a job, this might give you breathing space, but you need to find out first what this nursery has to offer you.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hi guys,

I have had nothing in writing to confirm this job, no job description of any type. I was told that the printer was broken and thats why I am having a further induction on Friday. xD I have already done a for and against coloums and i came out with more against than for. I have also spoken to another member of my family who is good when it comes to these things, they said it sounds like they are not a company worth working for. :o

Also the baby room stuation is that there is a max 24 children in a large room. This lady who interviewed me did say I would be working in the baby room at least twice a week. I have also looked up the regulations on working with babies, it states no more than 12 in each group under 2 years old. The little babies are seprarted by a fence type thing covered by freestanding shelfs and then another toy to stop the older ones comming into that area. But I think this is not allowed these days, I visited a nursery in my town when I first qualified and they were togher and last year i visiited again and they had to build a wall to seprated the under 1's from the under 2s as a fence or anything like freestanding shelfs are not allowed.

I also think that I will be in that nursery as well as one of the others to cover staffing shortages. I was told by the owner that a nursery nurse/assistant did not turn up for induction, but then told them she did not want the job. When we were talking earlier that sounded alarm bells ringing, had this person also been in the same situation as me. I have also had to sign on again just until I get a job. They said the that a particluar nusery in another town from me,(this nursery) had been getting a bad reputaion for staff changes which does not suprise me as they have adversted at least 5 jobs in the same year across 2 nurseries.

Beth

Hi guys

I have turned down the offer of the job, tried asking questions got nowhere! xD:o:( :rolleyes:

I have a very good feeling that theres a better job around the corner! Hopefully the two other jobs in the pipeline. :(

Any ideas on how to regain other placement for my course, or what to say at the school placement I had before half term. xD:( :unsure:

Thanks for all your help. :D :wacko:

Beth

Tell them exactly what happened, you were offered a job which you felt obliged to accept because you needed to get a job for your course, on reflection the job was not what it apppeared, then appeal for your placement, stating how useful you will be at this busy time of year!

Hope it goes well. Do keep us informed!!

Bad news one of the jobs that I wanted the nursery Jan 07, have turn me away. xD Well there were 20 people interviewed for the job.

Maybe I should just give in a become a statistic of nursery nurses who leave the profession due to not getting on in day nurseries or not gaining suitable employment. :o

I have been struggling to get another job since Feb 06 and job hopped ever since. I really want an employer that will support me with my Foundation Degree, this is proving more difficult than I thought.

Beth

Must be very dissappointing for you Beth and hard to keep positive but the right job will come along.

I'll say it again, in my best Dell Boy voice, she who cares wins!! I like your signature by the way!!

We're all behind you, meantime put all your efforts into your placement (hopefully) and your studies so you can feel good about yourself and believe in yourself.

Gosh 20 applicants for one job, just a stab in dark, could you acknowledge their letter, thank them for their interest and state that should things not work out you would be very interested in working them.

Deb

Bad news one of the jobs that I wanted the nursery Jan 07, have turn me away. xD Well there were 20 people interviewed for the job.

Maybe I should just give in a become a statistic of nursery nurses who leave the profession due to not getting on in day nurseries or not gaining suitable employment. :o

I have been struggling to get another job since Feb 06 and job hopped ever since. I really want an employer that will support me with my Foundation Degree, this is proving more difficult than I thought.

Beth

Beth, I agree with others, don't give up. Please also try not to be too averse to day nurseries because of past experiences. There are many, many happy employees in Day nurseries. What don't you get on with in Day Nurseries?

When you say you want support with your FD do you mean in terms of hours?, interest from work colleagues?, financial security ( or maybe a bit of all of these).

There is a varied sector out there, have you applied to any PVI settings who open extended hours with children aged from 2 yrs upwards? ( no baby room). Sorry, you may have already stated this but have you had funding towards your degree? Have you got enough placement hours to complete your degree, maybe have to get another type of part time job until an early years post comes along for 'living costs'.

I really do hope everything turns out alright for you and good advise from Deb, try to keep the door open is possible.

Peggy

Peggy

I have already applied to the PVI sector with children over 2, nothing comes up or I get turned down for either too much experience at level 3 at junior postions or not enough experince at senoir postions like deputy preschool leader, room leader etc. :(

I have been thinking of getting a day nursery placement for 2 days a week thus putting me forward for any postions that arise in the nursery or other nurseries where the nursery manager knows of any vancanies. :o The problem is that I dont want to work for around 16 per week without earning any money, I know its a bit cheaky but feels like cheap labour. xD

The nursery who turned me down also stated in the letter that they would keep my application form on file incase of any other vancises, they are expaning the nursery next year from a 50 odd place to 90 place nursery. Maybe they may have me in mind for the expation, there will be a new baby/toddler room not sure of age grouping 0-1/1-2 years, extening the toddler and preschool rooms into another building.

Beth

seems the link doesn't go to the same page showing job adverts, there were four pages ranging from school assistants, playworkers, preschool and nurseries all within the huddersfield area.

Click the relevant options and maybe you will find it too. Good luck.

Peggy

we appear to have crossed posts :o

peggy