Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre Foundation Stage Curriculum

I am currently undertaking a Foundation Degree in Early Years Child Care and Education and am finding it quite difficult to find information on the legislation and policy for schools prior to the current legislation i.e. Ofsted took over the inspection of pre-schools etc. in 2000 from Social Services - what about schools - who controlled the school environment before Ofsted and when did Ofsted come into being.

The 1988 Education Reform Act saw the birth of National Curriculum, again, what came before this.

I have many questions in this vein, could anyone suggest literature or websites that will answer these questions. I hope I am not asking too much.

Julia

Hi, been waiting to see if anyone was more knowledge than me but no one has a nswered you so...

I think Ofsted came into beeing about 1992, certainly early 90s. Previously schools were regulated by HMI - Her Majestys Inspectors. These people do still exist and come into schools but I am unclear as to the exact differences. Certainly HMI inspectations were nothing like the current Ofsted ones (Chris Woodhead was their founder).

Pre 1988 and the National Curriculum, we more or less did our own thing. Head teachers dictated what was taught although Schools had schemes of work that you followed. Classes were much more individual.

The other major difference was that we recorded what we had done and reported to the head teacher monthly. Another school required a prediction too but planning was not the onerous task it is now, nor was the job so full of paperwork and stress.

I've no idea where you could find info about all this but you could search on google for Woodhead, HMI, national curriculum if you haven't already.

hope this has helped alittle. Perhaps someone else will know something I've forgotten.

Susan

Hi, been waiting to see if anyone was more knowledge than me but no one has answered you so...

I think Ofsted came into beeing about 1992, certainly early 90s. Previously schools were regulated by HMI - Her Majestys Inspectors. These people do still exist and come into schools but I am unclear as to the exact differences. Certainly HMI inspectations were nothing like the current Ofsted ones (Chris Woodhead was their founder).

Pre 1988 and the National Curriculum, we more or less did our own thing. Head teachers dictated what was taught although Schools had schemes of work that you followed. Classes were much more individual.

The other major difference was that we recorded what we had done and reported to the head teacher monthly. Another school required a prediction too but planning was not the onerous task it is now, nor was the job so full of paperwork and stress.

I've no idea where you could find info about all this but you could search on google for Woodhead, HMI, national curriculum if you haven't already.

hope this has helped alittle. Perhaps someone else will know something I've forgotten.

Susan

Since the year dot (at least 15 years ago, ha, ha), pre-schools were inspected by social services. They would check all the care and safety issues, and would give constructive feedback.

Once the Early Learning Goals came into being, OFSTED started inspecting, looking at the quality of the educational provision. OFSTED inspectors were dreaded. In my experience, they were not consistent in their expectations. Many of our local early years OFSTED inspectors have now moved into regional EYCE management or into training and education roles (for practioners).

These two types of inspections then ran in parallel.

Then, after the FS curriculum was instituted, the 'combined inspections' came about: one inspector looks at all aspects of the setting. In practice, in our area, the inspectors doing this are ex-DSS people, having undergone additional training to cover DLO's (is it the same everywhere?). I would like to think that there is now more uniformity

The setting where I work has not yet had a combined inspection, but one is imminent.

In conclusion, inspection of early years settings hereabouts has had a chequered past.

If anyone would like specific dates of changes, I can probably find them, but they may only have local applicability.

Diane.

Hi Susan and Diane,

Thanks for the Info, very helpful. I needed to touch briefly on previous legislation etc. and your comments confirmed what I was beginning to suspect through various snippets of information I have been able to unearth. I spent 3 hours in the library yesterday and found loads of up-to-date info on current legislation so that bit should be plain sailing.

Diane, do you happen to know when Social Services became involved in inspecting pre-schools etc? It is my understanding that playgroups were set up by mums and when they grew the Pre-school Playgroups Association was born. This evolved into PSLA but I don't know when Social Services became involved, I could find nothing on the history of playgroups in the library yesterday.

The more I am learning the more I realise there is still so much I don't know although I am really enjoing finding out. It does help to have access to people with more knowledge than myself. Hope I can return the favour one day.

Julia.

When I first took over my pre-school 25 years ago We had visits from social sevices. The same lady came from social services. She didn't visit on a regular basis sometimes we didn't see her for a few years!!!!.The in 1989 year of the childrens act we all received a blue book of rules. I still have it in the cupboard. It said mostly practical things e.g what to have in first aid box. We thought that was hasstle Little did we know what was in store when Ofsted reared it's ugly head. In 1979 the only paperwork I had was a register,childrens and staff details,social services certificate.P.L.A. membership details and the milk claim form. I had very basic equipment but children still learnt all the basics because they were with us till they were 5.We had to have first aid training and the supervisor, level 3, assistants" learning through play"Children were not registered to come before they were 3. We had the same adult ratiosas we do now. The children were mostly better behaved.It was sheer heaven then just to go and play and chat with the children. Most parents in my area did not go to work. Children only ever attended for 2/3.sessions. Have children really benefited from all the recent legislation. Maybe the acedemics but not the ones that are not that way inclined. They give up and cause trouble in and out of school in my area.

Julia,

I think Bubblejack has answered the social services (when?) question better than I could.

Obviously, social services were first involved when there was an initial requirement for groups to register (social services, as DHSS, then as DSS, were the initial registering body). I have absolutely no idea how far back this was!!

Hope you find everything you're looking for.

Daine.

Thanks Bubblejack, I didn't realise Social Services were involved in pre-schools as far back as 25 years ago, I have now got to find out when groups were first required to register, (thanks for pointing me in the right direction Diane).

I agree certain aspects of legislation appear to be pushing children toward the academic goals, losing the spontaneity and enquiring spirit that children under 5 seem to be blessed with. I have spent many a time walking behind a child with notepad in hand making observations and assessments, thinking I should really be sitting on the floor with that child encouraging and expanding their play.

On the other hand used correctly and imaginatively, the legislation will protect the child and should enhance the child's learning and development. It is very difficult to get the balance right, especially with OFTSED breathing down your neck!

Julia.

Hi Julia

surprisingly there has been some form of registration required since the 1948 Children Act but aspects such as standards where left to the individual boroughs to devise. The children act simple gave a outline to registration requirements and with the acception or a few minor changes these remained practically the same until the 1989 Act how scary is that thought? 40 years of the same regulations!

I recently did an assignment on the changes in the registration process and found a booklet in my college library -

Registration and inspection of day care for young children by L Cowley (1993) published by National Childrens Bureau London

it seemed to shed some light on the changes that have taken place in child care inspections including child minders, unfortunately it's out of date with regards more recent changes regarding OFSTED but sometimes old books are the better for researching the history aspect of a project,

I found sociology books such as

sociology and social policy for the early years by A Yeo and T Lovell also gave more history on the subject (if thats what you want?) both childcare and education elements

The PLA may have some back ground information they seem to have a variety of resources and litrature.

unfortunately my project was based around child care so this information might be leading you up the garden path

Hi Alison,

That information is exactly what I needed, I will contact the library tomorrow for the booklet you suggest. I can find loads of up-to-date information it is the early details I am finding so difficult to unearth. Although I am working in a school it is early years development I am focusing on and I am including pre-school in my research.

What course are you doing? This website is brilliant for sharing ideas, I have had so much help already - hopefully I will be able to help someone else one day.

Thanks again.

Julia.

Hi Julia

Im studying the HND early child hood studies and then hoping to do the third year and gain the BA in september

this site has been a godsend for asking questions I have told everyone I know about it

good luck with your research

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)