Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Team Building Ideas

HI

have any of you got any team building ideas that i can do at a staff meeting?, a few members of staff have expressed an interest in working on team building in some way, but i am stuck as to how to do it,.

Ideas greatly appreciated

Dawn

Dawn,

I've used this website before - there are loads of ideas on here (it's take a while to find them but the baking foil construction and newspaper building exercises are good fun!)

Building trust is a good one - standing staff in a circle but facing around (rather than in) so you are looking at the back of the person in front of you. Now get all the staff to sit down on the lap of the person behind them (and the person in front will sit on their lap) It takes timing and communication to stop everyone collapsing :D

One exercise I recently did was about effective communication - in pairs, sit back to back. One person is talker and the other is drawer. Give the drawer a piece of paper and a pencil. Give the talker a simple picture to describe (something like the top one here shapes.doc I'm sure you can come up with better, but it gives you an idea! ) The talker has to describe the picture to the drawer. They can only say things once and the talker CANNOT ask any questions. When pictures are complete, they can compare efforts.

THEN... Swap over talkers/drawers and let them face each other. Give the talker a different picture (like the bottom one) They must not let the drawer see it BUT, they can talk to each other, ask questions about position, size etc. When it is finished, they compare pictures.

The moral of the story being...... COMMUNICATION!

My colleague has just done a playwork semiinar and had delegates dressing each other up in newspaper - they are only allowed to use newspaper and sellotape - give them a theme (fairytales, nursery rhymes) and see what they come up with :o

I hope that makes sense - let us know how you get on!

I hate that sort of thing! Just reading about it makes me cringe.

Have a social, go out for a meal, get to know one another away from work?

I would, but going out socially with people from work is like having teeth pulled without anaesthetic! PAINFUL!!!!.......

hmmmm, we have some varying age ranges, and characters... some that resist against anything to do with getting together socially, and some that are all for social get togethers (but gets o drunk, they don't remember it).....

Dawn

Thanks running bunny, some interesting suggestions there

Dawn

Dawn,

I've used this website before - there are loads of ideas on here (it's take a while to find them but the baking foil construction and newspaper building exercises are good fun!)

Building trust is a good one - standing staff in a circle but facing around (rather than in) so you are looking at the back of the person in front of you. Now get all the staff to sit down on the lap of the person behind them (and the person in front will sit on their lap) It takes timing and communication to stop everyone collapsing :D

One exercise I recently did was about effective communication - in pairs, sit back to back. One person is talker and the other is drawer. Give the drawer a piece of paper and a pencil. Give the talker a simple picture to describe (something like the top one here shapes.doc I'm sure you can come up with better, but it gives you an idea! ) The talker has to describe the picture to the drawer. They can only say things once and the talker CANNOT ask any questions. When pictures are complete, they can compare efforts.

THEN... Swap over talkers/drawers and let them face each other. Give the talker a different picture (like the bottom one) They must not let the drawer see it BUT, they can talk to each other, ask questions about position, size etc. When it is finished, they compare pictures.

The moral of the story being...... COMMUNICATION!

My colleague has just done a playwork semiinar and had delegates dressing each other up in newspaper - they are only allowed to use newspaper and sellotape - give them a theme (fairytales, nursery rhymes) and see what they come up with :o

I hope that makes sense - let us know how you get on!

Couldn't imagine doing any of those with my colleagues either, although we do enjoy the occasional meal out or something.

Here's a team building exercise that worked in reality though, get one child to be sick at lunch club, preferably all up the table legs, chairs, their clothes etc over a very wide area then see how well you work together!! Just to be sure, get another child to spill their bottle of water too. :o

Worked for us!

Can I pass on that one too, Deb? Although it has made me laugh!

I'm reassured then marion, most people I know love those activities and we even had to go on a residential to do that. Hell on earth for me!

Good luck then Dawn.

I definitely think it depends on the group of people.

Local authority inductions are NOT the time or place to do them, but with familiar/like minded colleagues could cause a laugh and actually work.

I'm not keen on them in a 'stranger' situation, but do enjoy having a giggle with colleagues.

were going on a ghost hunting weekend for our team building exercise and everyone is so excited about it. Its not for another few weeks but wil let you know how we fair if you like xjojomx

were going on a ghost hunting weekend for our team building exercise and everyone is so excited about it. Its not for another few weeks but wil let you know how we fair if you like xjojomx

sounds good , let me know how you get on

Dawn

A few years ago I used to be part of a team of Tutors, we didn't work together that often but did do training together, we kept in touch with each other as fellow professionals and shared tutoring ideas, planning etc. We knew each other over a period of years.

getting to the point, at the end of one training weekend we were all asked to write a positive comment about each other. They were anonymous, all the comments were handed to the respective persons and taken home.

I still have those little scraps of paper, with positive comments from people who I admired as fellow professionals. When I feel down, or lose confidence or feel abit alone in my work, I just get them out and read them. Links a bit with the motivation topic, but also as a team building excersice it enabled everyone to think about and recognise a positive feature of every person they worked with. :D

I've done this on a smaller scale with my preschool staff team. :D

Peggy

just to add it's not enough to say "karen is cheerful" the comments had to be backed up with observation. ie: "Karen remained cheerful when clearing up the sick at the lunch table"

Peggy

That reminded me Peggy about an exercise I did at night school.

At Christmas, we had a bit of a party, but still did games and exercises about raising self-esteem (it was a child psychology course). We had to each draw something that could hold a gift at Christmas - stocking, present, sack etc. We then had to write our name on the top and something about ourselves in it and then pass it around the room, with each person anonymously adding a comment. We didn't know each other that well, but it was interesting to see what others thought of us.

One comment I remember was 'posh but lovely' (Being a southerner in Yorkshire I obviously sounded different!) I think I took it as a complement :D