Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sand And Water

How often do you change the activity in your sand and water tray? At the moment I plan for a different activity/resource daily. I am beginning to wonder if this is too often, as not all children get a chance to access the activity in a day. Any thoughts/suggestions would be gratefully received. :o

I guess it would depend if the children were using the sand and water trays and for how often. By changing them everyday the children are not being allowed to develop their own play, but if they are not using them at all, you need to find out why not? Remember that dry sand acts the same way as water, so wet sand is always a better option!

If they were fully engaged and using the trays with the activity you have provided, I would leave it, perhaps add one or two enhancment resources and observe the children when playing. You can build and develop on themes to keep the children interested or you can target those that do not access them very often by putting in resources that they like (dinosaurs, dolls, cars, people, bugs etc)

They will soon vote with their feet when they get bored!

We change ours depending on the children's interest (or lack of it) and depending if it is a focused activity or not. We have both wet and dry sand trays to provide additional interest/opportunities/experiences. The children can also acess resources to initiate their own learning.

Edited by Marion

We change ours weekly. We were told to leave activities for as long as possible for children to be able to return to them and develop their play.

Linda

We change weekly and change whether or not the sand it wet or dry depending on what is in there. Inevitably the sand always becomes the water and vice versa by Thursday anyway... ha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)