Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Career Progression

Hi everyone,

I am finding it really difficult to progress within my nursery setting. At present I am a keyworker for 9 pre school children and have been for the last three years. I thoroughly enjoy my role but am becoming frustrated at my lack of progression. I am now at the end of my first year of the FD which I am studying through the Open University. I would like to move into a supervisory position but they dont come up in my setting very often. All the vacancies i have seen for supervisors ask's that you have 1 years post qualification supervisory experience, so this puts me off even applying, although I know I am more than able to carry out the duties that being a supervisor entails.

Would you still apply for vacancies any way?

Your advice is much appreciated

Claire x

Hi Claire.

I would definately, without hesitation. Sometimes, it's the only way to ensure you move up the ladder!

I applied earlier this year for a manager's job of a morning only pre-school. The job specification was 3 years post qualifying experience, experience with Ofsted inspections and all the associated paperwork.

I had been qualified only a few months at the time I applied, but I like you, knew that I would be able to handle most of the day to day stuff, just the paperwork would let me down. I told my interviewer my strengths and weaknesses and was given the job. I think its all about selling yourself and turning negatives into positives. The fact that you are technically level 4 qualified will also stand you in good stead.

I don't know what others think, but I personally would say go for it! If you don't ask, you don't get, that kind of thing!

Good luck and fingers crossed that supervisory job comes to you soon! :)

Many many thanks for your postive response, I will have to re work my CV so that it shows that although i havent ever been a supervisor i do possess the skills and knowledge that the postition requires and its only due to the fact of a position never becoming available at my present setting that has prevented me from becoming a supervisor.

Will let you know when i have an interview

Claire x

I agree with Clare, the keyworker role gives you many transferable skills, ie: partnership with parents etc, plus 3 years experience within a setting shows that you are committed to your career ( ie I have gone through many staff who only last between 6 mths and a year before they decide childcare is not for them).

You FD is also very valuable, settings now have financial incentives to employ FD qualified people (Transformation Fund) which should still be available when you finish.

Maybe you could self study on management / supervisory skills to prepare for interviews, but hey, if you are a parent, run a family, or even single think of all the times in your life you have managed a projest, a goal, planned for and carried out something, got people to support you or delegated tasks to others. Observe your supervisor, evaluate which parts of her job you feel you need more study on. Are you a good people person, professional, efficient, knowledgable about the National Standards, curriculum, legislation? This are supervisor skills.

Go on, go for it, if you are feeling frustrated then you are obviously not reaching your potential, don't hold yourself back.

Peggy

Many thanks for your replies, you have given me the confidence to start applying for supervisory roles that i know i am more than capable at carrying out. I have got quite a few new keychildren and would just like to see them go to school then I will start looking for a new postition.

Claire x