Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Administrator

Hi

We are looking to employ an administrator but we are unsure how many hours they would need to be contracted and how much administrators are on, any ideas?

A lot depends on what you can afford really. I get paid for 8 hours a week during term time, but obviously do more! I get £6.22 per hour. It has worked very well from our point of view, I would say that I know, but it wasn't difficult to improve the running of the financial side when it was barely functioning before.

By the way, have just purchased Quick Books accounting software and I'm very impressed. The initial outlay should pay dividends in the long run.

Hi Deb

Could i ask how many children that is for, we had some one who was doing our accounts but she was charging us for 20hrs a week at £8.50,this seems alot., but i have never done the accounts side so i wasn't sure how long it should take.

Hi Simcity

20 hours does seem quite a lot but then I don't know what s/he is required to do. I am a deputy supervisor as well so I'm used to doing something for nothing!! :o

Currently I'm preparing 28 invoices for pre-school and lunch club if that helps.

I deal with the accounts, petty cash, cashflow forecast, invoicing, marketing, newsletters, policies etc, perhaps there is more I should be doing on the accounts side that I'm not aware of! I do wages up to a point, but then send it to an accountant to produce the payslips which I hope to be able to do myself after a bit more training. I don't have an accounting background, just methodical, thorough and logical.

Jessica, I'm hoping that the new software will improve what I produce and reduce the time taken to do it. I found Excel good but I think QuickBooks will be easier to use because it is designed for the purpose.

The software is QuickBooks Small Business Accounting, recommended by a friend who is an accountant. It cost £140 but I think it will be a very good tool to do the job. It also has payroll on it. I'm just learning how to use it myself, so far it seems pretty straightforward for someone with some computer experience, you are taken by the hand through the setting up process.

My friend suggested I learn how to use it by entering all the information from last year's accounts on to it, so that's what I'm doing!!! He kindly entered the previous year's accounts that had been dumped on my lap in one huge mess!

You need to be clear on the role of the administrator before deciding the number of hours contracted. Administrators roles seem to vary hugely between different settings. I get paid for 10 hours per week, which is nowhere near long enough but is all that the group can afford. My responsibilities include invoicing, accounts, early years funding, dealing with correspondence, newsletters, policy updates, marketing, Ofsted and QA evidence filing ...... a lot of jobs that committee used to do, but is no longer practical for them to be expected to do. The huge advantage of having an administrator is continuity - all paperwork is up to date, because it is just one person having to deal with it all the time. I get paid £6 an hour.

Hi

The administrator would do the invoicing, deal with the funding, wage slips, petty cash.accounts

I do everything else- waiting list, registers, policies, newsletters, marketing, ofsted etc...........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)