Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Practical Maths For Yr1 Needed!

Hi all!

I'm in need of some inspiration and ideas that aren't going to cost me too much!

We have a courtyard area (also known as the outdoor classroom) at school which is used mainly by the Yr.1 classes and I'm trying to use it everyday!! We have some sand/water activities, picnic tables, fixed white boards, skitles etc but I'd like someone to recommend activites or agood book so that I can make more of it. Last week we hid number tiles for the less able to search for like a treasure hunt, but they had to pick them up in order. we also have a giant snakes + ladders and connect 4.

Anyone feeling inspired or have a similar area which they use?? :)

Thanks in advance

Jane

less

Guest Really

Could you put a washing line up so the children can peg out numbers in order? Also you could use hoops with numbers in, children throw a bean bag in one hoop and make a tower with bricks of that number, or for more able, throw twice and add numbers together.

If anymore ideas come to me I will let you know :o

One easy thing Ive done in the past is make skittles from empty 2ltr pop bottles numbered 1-10 a little sand in the bottom for weight. set up like a bowling alley they children have 2 turns and add the total or one turn and do the subtraction ..........I have 10 to start with knock down 3 there are how many left? etc

you can buy cheap snakes and ladders outdoor games think ours was under £5 and is always popular children are using addition if you use 2 die.

The book 'A place to Learn' By Lewisham Early Years Advice and Resource Network, is fantastic, all about developing a 'stimulating learning environment'. It has a tick list almost of things to have and do outside as well as inside. Fantastic reading. (But depressing when I think of what else I need to do still in our garden!! :o )

Back of book says;

ISBN no 090 1637106

Tel no for LEARN 020 8695 9806

fax 020 8698 0900

eys.advisers@lewisham.gov.uk

Liz x

Thanks Guys, I knew you'd be full of better ideas than me!

You watch the weather now though, it'll be chucking it down till April!!

Jane :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)