Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Legal Position

I have recently joined a nursery group that is being run in and alongside a reception class of a very small village school. The nursery was taken in by the head as they had lost their premises and most of the committee. The school are paying my wages

I and the head wish to create a foundation stage unit, But our early years dept. (Norfolk) are not keen. since I arrived we are running as a unit, But our suppot teacher (link) says we have to prove that we are seperate for ofsted, but we are not! Can anyone help us with the legalities of the school incorprating the nursery and doing away with the committee etc.

Something similar was on the cards at my old setting. The school had permission for a new building and the only way they could allow space in this for preschool (who rented a room in the old school) was for the school governors to take over the running of preschool instead of the voluntary committee. This may be the way for you to go. We were a PLA group so there was lots of advice from them and the EYDCP. However this started a year ago and has still not been resolved although some units in Devon (where we are) do run like this.

Good luck.

I think that is probably right, our group was going to be seperate management wise but share classroom space and presumably some activities.

But there are some settings that have managed to become one unit, so there must be a way!

But I don't know how to go any further!

Can you clarify what the status of the old nursery was? Who was named in the Ofsted registration certificate? Also is the village school a maintained school or voluntary aided. The quick and easy answer would be that the school is running the nursery as initially a temporary measure ON BEHALF OF THE COMMITTEE. They need to show that they have met and agreed this as an interim measure and I would have thought that the school needs to show Ofsted that the provision is suitable. Also what were the hours of the old nursery? Is it core day only or extended hours? Also now? At the very least the new premises will need to be registered to ensure that it is adequate. Has any contacted OFSTED re new premises? Why don't the county think it is a good idea? What are the age ranges of the children in the nursery?

Lots of questions I know but more detail is needed.

What we would like is to become part of the school and to develop an extended provision. The school are paying my wages, but we being told that we have to show that we are a separate entity, but we are not. The reception teacher and I plan and evaluate together and it works very well. The reception children stay all day and pay for the preschool. But there is no division. In fact it is an ideal situation, we can plan for individuals, so that the more able preschoolers get what they need and the young reception children have access to all the messy play, role play etc, that they need. The pre school is registered at the school.

By the way .Thanks Marion I have emailed ome of the groups from your link

By the way .Thanks Marion I have emailed some of the groups from your link

I'm certain there's a way round it, can't remember where I've read it though. It's something our school and pre-school may be interested in down the line.

Have you tried, PLA or the Charity Commission, yes think it was the Charity Commission site - relatively new guidance some months ago.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)