Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stupid Question?

What would you expect from a child of average ability on entering nursery.I think most of the new group are average on entering in most of the areas but where does it say what average is? Help please, especially if you have had OFSTED recently!!

We had OFSTED last week and they didn't ask us this.

depends what age you are thinking off, i am in a private day nursery that takes from three months to school age, so 'average' is so different.

Basically what i think ofsted are more concerned with is:

: how well you know the individual child, thus with you knowing the individual child you will come to know what is average for them!.... (does that make sense?).

we have 'wow' folders for our children which we use to record 'wow' type observations (ie those things that make you go wow, or that make you think ' gosh i haven't seen such and such do that before) ofsted liked these 'wow' folders and that showed certain levels that the child was at

Dawn

*** just read my reply nack and realised it didn't answer your question ~ sorry ****

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Don't know if this helps but we recently had ofsted and were asked about children entering the setting. The inspector wanted to know if children entered the setting below average as indicated in the previous report. The children were previously deemed below average because they had very little pre school experience (No playgroup or nursery in village). We decided that this had changed as we now have our foundation unit up a running, we take them in at 3 rather that 4 as previously and we now have a playgroup attached to the school. with all these points in mind we suggested the shift had changed and that children had good language skills, social skills, some mathematical knowledge thus average. With all that said isn't it sad that we have to deem tham anything other than the bundles of fun we know them to be. :)

Guest Really

We have just started a kind of tick sheet listing whether they can do certain things when they come into nursery and then reassess when they go into Reception. Eg being can name all their colours, can put on their own coats etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)