Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supply Work And Benefits....

beth1

I have just rung up my local benefits office to claim jobseeksers, as I was told that if I work under 16 hours per week I could then claim again. Well now I have been told differently that I cannot claim because I earn over £56 per week. So this means that I will have to stuggle on trying to pay for things with no money, I just hope I can pay off my car loan. :o Never mind the tax disc and insurance. xD

What annoys me more is that if I claimed asylam I would get benefits or so I have been told today by the office. It sounds as if it is one rule for us how have lived here all our lifes and a different rule for them. No wonder people are leaving this country so the don't have to pay taxes for people who come into our country.

I also got told to ring up Tax Credits Office to claim with them well I'm working under 16 hours per week so no I cant claim for that. Are they soo silly that rules are not being followed correctly? :D:(:( Also ring up the Jobseeker Direct line to see if there are any jobs going, well no there is not all full time and are not willing to give me a day off to go to college. :( :wacko: So it looks like more supply work for me then and struggle on as usuall.

Beth

A friend of mine had a similar frustrating situation with the jobcentre... it's a bit of a story -

She worked in London but her house and husband were in Huddersfield. She got pregnant with her first child and went on maternity the Easter before her daughter was born in June. She actually left the company she was working for but they still paid her maternity leave - how good was that?

Anyway, she couldn't find a job close to home for a while so found out what benefits she could get - the lady at the jobcentre told her that 'she should have thought about this issue before planning a family!' My friend is 33!! I guess the lady was so used to dealing with young mums (the catchment for the job centre includes a couple of disadvantaged estates) that she didn't know how to respond to a unique situation.

Keep smiling and I'm sure something will come up soon! :)

Hi Beth,

Sorry you're feeling so frustrated :o

Supply work has its benefits, but making great relationships with children and colleagues is not one of them! You must feel constantly on the sidelines at each setting you work?

My advice is to absolutely shine at what you do.....then if an opening comes up in any of your supply settings, they will want YOU :)

An idea.....if you did voluntary work to make up your hours to 16, would you be entitled to tax credits then? You might then be able to get your foot in the door of a lovely setting where, should a vacancy arise, you would be the obvious choice.

Good luck with the course/work balance.....chin up! :D

Hi Beth, I havent tried to claim any benefits since I went supply so I cant offer any advice. Have you tried your local neighbourhood office? (Do these exist outside of Birmingham, I have no idea?) I do think it's unfair that in order to get any help you have to be working a certain no. of hours rather than earning a certain amount of money.

Do as Helen advised, shine at all placements in the hope you'll be asked to stay, hopefully by someone you'd like to stay with! :o

Keep smiling :D

The benefit system can be a nightmare and very frustrating, when my daughter wanted to change hours etc I advised her to check with CAB first, they can give financial advice on benefits available and do the calculation for you so you know exactly where you will stand.

Unfortunately the media portray asylum seekers as money grabbing, benefit frauds ( of which there are a minority in every nationality/culture, I'm sure) which can also make people feel less equally treated when the benefit system leaves them with only a few options to work with. I personally prefer to be in my own country, safe and sound than in another country claiming from their benefit system, but some people don't have this choice.

Peggy

I have just rung up my local benefits office to claim jobseeksers, as I was told that if I work under 16 hours per week I could then claim again. Well now I have been told differently that I cannot claim because I earn over £56 per week. So this means that I will have to stuggle on trying to pay for things with no money, I just hope I can pay off my car loan. :o Never mind the tax disc and insurance. xD

What annoys me more is that if I claimed asylam I would get benefits or so I have been told today by the office. It sounds as if it is one rule for us how have lived here all our lifes and a different rule for them. No wonder people are leaving this country so the don't have to pay taxes for people who come into our country.

I also got told to ring up Tax Credits Office to claim with them well I'm working under 16 hours per week so no I cant claim for that. Are they soo silly that rules are not being followed correctly? :D:(:( Also ring up the Jobseeker Direct line to see if there are any jobs going, well no there is not all full time and are not willing to give me a day off to go to college. :( :wacko: So it looks like more supply work for me then and struggle on as usuall.

Beth

Ive just mentioned it to my partner who works for the CAB he cant give you advice as its against the rules but suggests you contact your local branch and make an appointment.