Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play!

i have been reading so many topics about role play areas and i have to ask what are your views on not providing this im a montessori teacher and my preschool children do not have role play, home corners or dressing up i often struggle with this and question wether i am right or wrong in not having this provision what are your views? x jojom x

not really Montessori believed that children should be able to understand reality before being offered fantasy we use dressing frames instead of dressing up. i do see a lot of imaginative play on a day to day basis within our room with the materials and i do believe that the children benefit greatly from this, but as far as dolls, home corners and role play areas are concerned we do not have these!

I remember becoming aware of this during studies in 1998, when comparing different phylosophies (excuse spelling) and how they met the then DLO's.

I'm trying to remember why Maria Montessori did not advocate role play. Is it because the ethos is more about 'real life' such as the cleaning, dusting and polishing of 'real' objects, cooking for a purpose ie: dinner/lunch etc?

How has Ofsted viewed the lack of role play? Possibly what is offered does still cover all the areas of the curriculum in other ways. Did Maria Montessori have a particular view about the development of 'imagination', ie: using one thing to represent another?

interesting question, jojom, I look forward to others responses.

Peggy

our posts crossed jojom. :D

Peggy

I dont know much about montassauri I will admit,but I find altho interesting hard to swallow!!sorry :o Role play is the core of all the childrens reason for playing certainly in our seting anyhow!

We once had a child who came a couple times a week who attended a montasaurri at other times.He was a delightful child very clever aswell but he couldnt 'play' he didnt know how to interact with the children,never dressed up and his sister who came a few years later was the same. It was a bout 3 and 5 yrs ago mind.

Montessori believed that the mind of the small child should be routed in reality, at our last osted inspection this wasnt a problem. many Montessori teachers would crush a childs imagination, such as in our practical life area we have pouring lentils, i am given endless cups of lentil tea throughout the day! i would never say its not really tea its lentilsas many montessorians still do i simply join in the fun BUT is this enough i have worked in many nurseries and i have seen the benefits of a theme linked role play area in all areas of the curriculum i love the Montessori philosophy and my role but it just makes me question am i doing the best that i can for my children

x jojom x

not really Montessori believed that children should be able to understand reality before being offered fantasy we use dressing frames instead of dressing up. i do see a lot of imaginative play on a day to day basis within our room with the materials and i do believe that the children benefit greatly from this, but as far as dolls, home corners and role play areas are concerned we do not have these!

Much of role play is about 'reality' and allowing the children to explore it to make sense of their environment and lives. We dont have a home corner and seldom use dolls or 'dressing up' either.

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)