Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help

We collected a load from the 'helicopter tree' ( are they sycamore seeds ??) and flew them indoors.

Not the mechanical kind I know but children had great fun. :D

Peggy

Hi

Not exactly helicopters but we used a square sheet of thick paper/ thin card and a split pin, find the centre and cut slits in each corner of the paper diagonally towards the middle ( not right to the middle)

then fold the corners in to the middle and put the split pin in to secure them, we then fastened tese to long lolly sticks. when the children blow them, they go round.

Like the things you get at the seaside that blow in the wind

Lyn x

What age children? are you wanting to make a model to show them or for them to make their own?

Don't know why I'm asking because I still don't know how I would make a helicopter. :( The only other suggestion is to get or make some windmills ( folded paper, split pin and straw :o ) at least the children could see the 'twirling' motion and 'blow' them to make them move xD

Exploring the idea of helicopter blades working. :(

sounds a bit desperate doesn't it :(:D

Peggy

Heres Another

see attached diagram

# Cut along all the solid lines on the diagram to the right.

# Fold flap A forward and flap B to the back.

# Fold flaps C and D both forward along the dotted lines.

# Fold along the line E upward to give a weight at the bottom.

# You can scale up this model as much as you want. You just drop the model with the blades facing upwards and the weight at the bottom facing downwards for the best results.

Hold by the rectangle of paper beneath the blades and then let go pulling your hand out of the way very quickly. Everything about this helicopter is simple: making it and flying it.

post-4059-1159378458_thumb.jpg

Guest DeborahF

When we did a little topic on air travel in the summer, one of the members of staff got hold of some really cheap toys from a local discount shop - basically they were a balloon which you blew up and then attached to a set of propellers that then whizzed round and made a noise as they sailed to the ground. They've probably got a name but I don't know what it is!

Not exactly helicopters but something similar and a great language and "investigating" activity. The children took them outside and spent ages watching what happened and seeing how long they stayed in the air. Just a thought! I'm sure you can get them in loads of shops.

As a problem solving exercise you could investigate the best shape to make out of an A4 piece of paper to get it to fall to the ground the slowest or the quickest.... they are allowed to cut the paper, stick the paper and add basic things like paper clips, split pins etc.

Children can guess how long it will take, make different shapes, record how long it actually took, modify their designs and you can take photos and record observations.

Not exactly helicopters, but a variation on a theme!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)