Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Family Planning Ideas

Hi,

I am struggling to plan interesting whole class carpet activities on the topic of 'My Family', particularly for numeracy and literacy. All my ideas so far have been very boring and I would appreciate some help if poss from you clever people!

Thanks in advance

Caroline

I was wondering if we were suddenly in need of a "personal" section too!!

Sorry Cazza, cant think of anything that might help at the moment other than counting family members and writing labels under pictures, 'mum', 'dad' etc.

What about having pre cut house cards that open and they have to draw each member of their family in a room and talk about it to the person next to them.

Or my familys favourite food, where do we eat dinner, what is our favourite meal - very topical.

Could you get a grandparent (or great grandparent - some of our grandparents are very young!)in to talk about school when they were little?

Just a few ideas off the top of my head, will have to have a little think.

Liz x

You're asking for ideas for whole class carpet sessions. How old are your children?

I assume you want some ideas for circle time activities. Could you ask each child to talk about a particular member of their family and why they are special - what do they do together? (could be an aunt, uncle, cousin, grandparent, younger/older sibling.) For numeracy perhaps you could make a class chart showing how many people live in their house. I have lots of other ideas for individual activities, but it's not so easy for whole class sessions.

Willl try and think of some other ideas.

Jackie

Maybe you could use play people to represent family members and play counting games, turn over a digit card with range of numbers you are looking at or roll a dice, collect the 'people' and the one with the biggest 'family' wins , or have a basic face/body and children roll dice, collect a counter or playing piece and cover up parts of face/body, the first to cover up features wins. You could also have a dressing up box with clothes to represent different generations of a family to link to CLL and role play. You could add a number element to this by using a dice, have a focus number and if they roll this number they can put on an item of clothing...the first to have all the mummy/daddy/grandad,etc clothes on is the winner. The 'Alfie' stories are quite good for family tales. You could use 3 bears as a stimulus and bring in measure/capacity element to Numeracy. Looking at 'Birthdays' may be a good one too, making a number 3 birthday card if they are 3, a number 4 card if they are 4,etc; counting candles on a cake for different ages..pretend you are 21!! I know there are lots more but hope these help a bit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)