Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Figures Speak

Is anyone else aware that the results of last years FS profiles has been included in the latest set of Making Figures Speak? Some schools in my area got 100% in some areas of the profile so that means that all the children got point 9?!!!!! I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!! What happened to the message that point 6 was a good average?

Is anyone else aware that the results of last years FS profiles has been included in the latest set of Making Figures Speak? Some schools in my area got 100% in some areas of the profile so that means that all the children got point 9?!!!!! I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!! What happened to the message that point 6 was a good average?

I have never been able to work out how to post before and I'm still having trouble! I'll keep trying! My head showed me the figures today. Presumably they were sent to school. I was shocked as we are a high achieving school-relatively speaking! I have found that over the past 2/3 years the children do come in with less and less basic skills so we do have a lot of work todo! I have been teaching quite a while so I thought I knew what I was doing but if this is going to turn into a competition I may need to call it a day! One of the heads with 100% results was embarassed at the latest heads meeting and said the results were not right- so who made the judgements and filled in the profile? Doen't this sort of thing prove how difficult it is to make the judgements?

Ooh - excellent! Someone else who is being driven mad by unrealistic marking: welcome to my world! As they're now making correlations between FSP scores and target setting for SATs (a child who scores 6 on the FSP is expected to reach 2b in KS1 SATs and a score of 8 is meant to equate to a Level 3) then people who score all their children off as 9 are setting an impossible task for their colleagues and, more importantly, the children. This subject has been a pet topic of mine for the last 2 years - dark mutterings, cursing, shaking of fists... :o

The only good thing is that their value added is going to look pants - oh how I shall laugh!

I wish they would make up their mind on profile scores! I also doubt the accuracy of giving KS1 predictions when we assess so many areas in the FS compared to what SATs tests assess...Why are different authorities saying different things?

I'm with you Moose! It's about being realistic and working together as a whole. Having the same picture of what a 6 looks like, thats why we moderate! Think that a school with all 9's is a fantasy and to be honest I think not a very exciting or challenging place to work in. (apologies to any perfect 9 settings out there!!) :o

Liz x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)