Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working On Supply...........

beth1

:o OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! :wacko: I am soooo mad with the attitude of some day nurseries. xD I have just been sent home from working in a day nursery on supply. :rolleyes:

The toddler room leader asked me if I loved working with the under 2's and I responded with I am not keen working with this age group but I will work with them.She went to the acting manager to told her that I hate working with the under 2's and I want to go home. In the above statement where have I said this to her? :(

What was I met to say that I love working with this age group and lie? xD

I was on my way out when I spoke to the Acting Manager she very balatenly told me they do not like supply nursery nurses from my agency, so why ask for them to come them? Well it does make me wonder why they are struggling to find a new Nursery Manager with that sort of attutde.

I do have my reasons for not working with is age group because when I was nursery student and as a qualifed nursery nurse I did all the cleaning, changing nappies and putting them to sleep, so in my defence I have not learn't how to do the other aspects of caring for the needs of children under 2 years old. :(:( :unsure:

Sorry to rant on but I am feeling much better already. :D

Beth

I have just spoken to my constulant about this issue. She said what I said was very diplmatic and thinks that they may have an issue with the problems they are facing themselves. :o She also cannot understand why the manager gave a 'trow away comment` like that to me. Maybe my face does not fit in when working with children in day nurseries.

I am feeling very shakey about all of this. Maybe I should just give in working with children if I carry on facing this sort of attiitue from employers/supply nurseries. Maybe this is why I can not get another job in childcare. xD

Yet I had a fantaistic experence working with babies under 2 years old on secondment to a children's centre. I wonder if Children's Centres are given more prioty in terms of looking after their staff more than working in day nurseries in the private sector?

Beth

If I was to be totally honest with myself I despise working with toddlers! I can 'do' babies as long as staff actually interact with them and don't sit and chat all day long and I LOVE Foundation Stage children.

I don't know what it is with the 2-3's but they are a nightmare (or perhaps I have just had a bad experience?)

I think that your response was honest and open and I would have done exactly the same if I was asked. In my current role, I get asked to fill in for staff on the creche pool and will gladly help out anyone that is experiencing staffing problems, but, if asked, will say that I prefer 3-5s.

With regards to CC valuing staff more, I don't think that this is the general case. I think that you have just had a bad experience in a nursery and it comes down to the manager and their management style. CC staff may feel more valued and there has been funding pumped into the setting up of the provision so they all have shiny new equipment, trainng budgets and away days (although this isn't the case where I am!) There are even major differences in the big chains where the philosophy and policies are consistent, but the quality of care between settings is so very different.

I wouldn't just apply to CC as there are some great DN out there, but do your research - check out their Ofsted reports, see if they have a website, speak to any friends or family that may have heard about the setting when they were looking for childcare. Keep your chin up and let us know how you get on!

Beth, people often ask me what age group I like to work with or not and I always say I dont like being with the babies. Nobody has said anything about it, everyone has a preference one way or another, I'd say thats just their problem if they can ask a question and accept the answer. Dont pack it in yet, just make a note of the nursery and a one word comment next to it so if in the future you are asked to go back you can refresh your memory. I have a list in the back of my diary, the agency asked me to go to one tomorrow but the comment 'communication', reminds me of why I will never go back there so I declined. :D:D

There are some lovely places out there, keep smiling. :D

Beth, people often ask me what age group I like to work with or not and I always say I dont like being with the babies. Nobody has said anything about it, everyone has a preference one way or another, I'd say thats just their problem if they can ask a question and accept the answer. Dont pack it in yet, just make a note of the nursery and a one word comment next to it so if in the future you are asked to go back you can refresh your memory. I have a list in the back of my diary, the agency asked me to go to one tomorrow but the comment 'communication', reminds me of why I will never go back there so I declined. :D:D

There are some lovely places out there, keep smiling. :D

Rea can this include the ones I have already been to and I like them?

Beth

I have just spoken to my constulant about this issue. She said what I said was very diplmatic and thinks that they may have an issue with the problems they are facing themselves. :o She also cannot understand why the manager gave a 'trow away comment` like that to me. Maybe my face does not fit in when working with children in day nurseries.

I am feeling very shakey about all of this. Maybe I should just give in working with children if I carry on facing this sort of attiitue from employers/supply nurseries. Maybe this is why I can not get another job in childcare. xD

Yet I had a fantaistic experence working with babies under 2 years old on secondment to a children's centre. I wonder if Children's Centres are given more prioty in terms of looking after their staff more than working in day nurseries in the private sector?

Beth

I think you have been very unlucky with your DN experience and lucky in your CC experience. I have a friend who has left child care after a really terrible time in a Children's Centre where she was in her words 'treated like a slave' and 'considered thick'. Its very much down to individual settings and the people and management in those settings.

I agree with Marion ( yet again :o )

I do all the cleaning, changing nappies and putting them to sleep, that's some of my 2-3 yr olds in my own preschool, day care. xD

ooh, and I move / store furniture daily, wash toilet floors (sometimes on my hands and knees), take home sacks of rubbish, clear up after previous hall users, pick up dog ends from the entrance door, wipe snotty noses, pick playdough out of carpets, and shoes, exclude spiders, craneflies and anything else creepy crawly from the building, descale the kettle and make tea/coffee, wipe up vomit, clean graffiti off external walls/doors, do all the laundry, and pay others for the privelage in joining me in these lovely tasks. :(

Each setting is individual, good and bad and inbetween. Keep looking and you will find what suits you and what suits the setting. :D

Peggy

Ah playgroup, those were the days Peggy xD

Beth I have one word next to all the nurseries I've been to, sometimes it's a colour, Sue R's nursery was mustard = it's the colour I see when I have warm calm feelings, other times a word, friendly, frantic, H&S - in that one you couldnt have a sniffle without the nursery coming to a standstill while everything was scrubbed, sterilised and left for 48 hours. :o

One was grey :( the agency never used them again.

The colours are personal to me, no-one can ever tell what I really think if they see my comments.

Its probably a childish game but it helps me 'gurd my loins' as it were, so I'm ready for them. :D

Thanks Rea. The colours are a fansatic idea. I know what my grey colour will be used for. :D

I have an very upseting email from my agency who are siding with the nursery, I have a very strange feeling I will not be receiving many more supply days with them. :o Well if they will not listen to their staff thus gaining a bad reputation they will be struggling.

I spoke to a lady today who told me that if the above happens I should take it further. xD She also told me that she has had dealings with this agency a couple of years back and the staff fetch in were not able to cope working with the babies/toddler age group. She conducted some very clever questions to find out if the agency were listening to their staff proplerly. :( The result not very good - most wanted to work with preschool children in the day nursery or in schools. :(

Beth