Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mixed R/y1

Hi

Can anyone on this brilliant site give me some pointers/advice on daily organisation/routine of a class of 12 Y1 and 12 Reception children. I just feel that when I am teaching the Y1 group and then working on focused activities with them that I never have a chance to work with the Reception children. They work with the TA. Also when the YR are doing their child led activities it becomes quite noisy when I am trying to get Y1 to attend to text/word level work. You know how easily they are distracted! I know I could work with YR while TA does focused lit/num activity with Y1. Any ideas please?! :o

Thanks for your reply Marion. Its not so much the content of the curriculum - think we've got that quite well organised. It's just getting the organisation of the teaching times right - since for lit and num some of the Y1's are ready for the Year 1 curriculum. I'll certainly have a look at the book. :D

Hi, Im in a very similar situation to you. I have a mixed reception, year 1 class and love it. We run a simple literacy/ numeracy session every morning, with independant activities running so that i can work on focused groups. In the afternoon we run a Highscope planning time. This is were the children plan 3 self chosen activities, and then recall in the last session what they have done. We find it quickly encourages the children to become independant in completing activities and also organising themselves. We have spent a lot of time setting up the classroom so that everything is labeled and accesable but it pays of. What's even better in our last OFSTED we were praised because it was directly in line with the 'excellence and enjoyment' document.

I wound this document helpful with planning. Found it from this site a while ago, but it is brilliant. I also like Hamilton for Maths and Literacy activities because they cater for YR/Y1.

:D

Green_SS__ELG_and_NC_Y1.doc

Thanks Marion and Bailey

Both those documents will be very useful and your organisation sounds fun Bailey. Can I be cheeky and ask if you would letting me see some of your medium and short term plans? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)