Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Focused Activities?

hi all, just wondered how many focused activities reception staff have set up through the day?? I have 3 adults in the morning and there is myself and a TA in the afternoon. When there is 3 of us, one adult is outside whilst the others have a focused group in either room but this leaves the remanding children alone to run riot therefore no quality learning gets done with the focused group as I'm having to intervene and sort out the others!!

Would it be better to have one of the adults as a floater, and cut down the number of focused activities??

Any advice as to how you manage your day much apreciated, can't be doing with this next week!! As I said on my introductory post, i am right on target for dropping that dress size, not by christmas though...make it half term!!

Thanks Catherine xxx

I'd go with your idea on having someone to encourage and supervise free play for now - and see if you can reduce that as the children get settled and know the boundaries. If they get used to complete freedom - in its more negative form - it will take root and be hard to stop.

The non timetabled person could be doing general or more focussed observations too!

Good luck! :)

Hi cathy

yup would go with Leapfrog, especially at this time of year. We build up to two focused activities when the children are more settled; this allows time for obs and supported play which is so important to establish routine/boundaries and above a getting to know you peroid. Make sure that you and your support staff take it in turns to do this as you will all need time to get to know the children and that the children will get used to you doing different things too; plus you will all see children in a different way. (sorry if this is teaching grandma to suck eggs!)

P.S how lucky you are to have 3 adults (do you have SEN in your class for the extra adult?)

we have 3 in the morning as this is the first time we have had a whole rec class in with one teacher in sept, rather than splitting them between 2 teachers (thought i would be getting a nice small class till jan, no such luck!!) so there is a 'spare' TA so to speak as we would have had one each, if that makes sense? Thanks again for sharing your experiences Catherine xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)