Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plan, Do, Review

Hi everyone, just wondered how plan, do , review worked in your reception classes at the moment?? I'm new to reception and would welcome any ideas and experiences you may have. At the moment my children give me an oral plan (from next week they will use a book to draw poctures, more able have a go writing) then they go and DO (the majority change their minds when they see something more interesting that their own plan!!) then we review at the end and this is when the children say what they could do better (actually they say what they will do next time) they find this very difficult. Looking forward to reading your experiences as I dont feel this is plan, do, review at its best. Thanks!! Catherine xxx

Hi Cathy and welcome!

I cant offer you any advice as I have never worked in this way. Are you High Scope trained?

I have visited a high scope nursery and felt very much that it was a relevant way to work in FS and would love to know more! But I think it was a learning process to develop the methodology with the children so perhaps you just need to keep working away.

Hope someone else will be along to help.

Hi, I think that sounds as though you have quite a lot going on there for this time of year.

Plan, Do Review (in my experience) takes quite a while to really be up and running - you will find the children improve as they year goes on and you can change the way you do things to extend, challenge and match the children's needs.

We have been told that the key points for PDR are keep the planning very short - give plenty of time for the doing (with accessible, safe resources for the children to get out) and question carefully during your review time.

I have had experience of the children drawing (only a few writing) in their planning books but I don't do this anymore - it takes so long and I worried that this would inhibit their choices (ie only drawing what they felt confident to draw etc) And what about those who can't draw or write - this wouldn't be my way to encourage them to do so.

At the moment we just choose a couple of children to tell us what they would like to do and I write a sentence about their choice on the whiteboard for all to see. We then go off to play, then at the end I ask those 2 children how they got on - my TA is a whizz with the digital camera and to get some photos up on the interactive whiteboard of them during their play really helps to scaffold the questioning and speaking/vocab. etc. (We don't manage the photos everyday)

I will change and develop the planning and reviewing time as the year passes - eg asking the children to ask each other - using a prompt card with questions on etc.

Hi there,

I work in a FSU with children that self register, plan (in own planning books where the signs and symbols are velcroed in and out, these books are then taken home as a talking point with parents) do (child initiated work time) and review during snack time. Planning can take on a variety of forms and review is usually a couple of children at a time recalling their activities, photographs can be taken to support this discussion. Try looking at "The perpetual Pre School" website for planning, small group time and other HighScope ideas. Have Fun.

Those were my thoughts exactly Bungalow! But when your being 'told' what to do by a more experienced collegue you tend to go with it until you know any different, thanks for the info guys much appreciated, now I can put forward my own feelings and ideas about PDR with my collegue.

Catherine x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)