Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Assessment- For Tracking

Hi ya, please can anyone share ideas they use to assess childrens reading in Year 1. I have been told to do reading conferences with my class each term and level their reading to go on a tracking grid. Does anyone have any ideas or know of something I could read to get me started?

Thanks

We used NFER Nelson test in the past but it was just words rather than text. Last year our new head introduced Salford sentence reading tests from Y1-6

I havent used it but it levels and gives a reading age and can be tracked from year to year.

As a school we've realised that whilst we are good at getting children to 'bark at print' we're less good at developing their high level reading skills (comprehension etc). To try and remedy this we're introducing 9 levelled bookmarks, starting at Level 1 level_1.doc(2c, 2b, 2a, 3, 3+, 4, 4+, 5). The bookmarks are written in childspeak (we hope!) and are intended to act as guides for any adult who hears a child read, enabling them to focus on what the child needs to do to 'improve'. To counteract the 'if they do it once they've got it' mindset the bookmarks will be marked off with triangles - each example of 'mastery' will form one side of the triangle. We've also tied this in with our guided reading, with the same five catergories for each level (grammar and punctuation, interpretation and response, knowing how texts work, attitudes, and one more that I can't think of at the moment!) although the foci (is that the plural?!) is differentiated.

If the link works, we have a Year 1 reading Journal format which is on our local ngfl website

www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/getfile.php?src=311/Year1ReadingJournal.pdf

Hope it is useful to you...they do them for all year groups right from Reception

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)