Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help, I Have A Glue Stick Eater!

I have just started in a new small group and one of the children keeps trying to take bites out of the glue sticks. He is actually the oldest in the group being four years and eight months old. Has anybody got any ideas how to stop this please?

Will he listen if you explain it's correct use? If not I suggest you get him lots of exciting stuff that he won't be able to resist to stick on paper/card such as feathers,etc.......failing that stick his lips together!!! (not really)

Hi all

When I worked in a reception class we had a glue eater.... never really found a solution :o we just kept reinforcing the correct reason for using glue

One time we couldn't find the glue sticks. A child said ' oh you wont find it cause ........ has eaten it'

I always remember the teacher spending ages colouring uncooked pasta for an activity she had planned for a couple of weeks later.

When she went to get the pasta it had all gone, the child had eaten it, a bit each day!

She also used to eat the bird cake we made and hung in the garden.

Mum, who is a friend of mine, saw the funny side but used to get really embarrassed.

We had a child who when she started with us two years ago would try to eat most things. I remember reading a description somewhere of a similar child who was described as a 'sensory seeker'. Our little girl certainly used her sense of taste to explore the environment. She did seem to grow out of it towards to end of her second year with us.

Deb

PVA on the snack bar menu??? :oxD:(

Couldn't resist, sorry, no 'useful' advice from me either.

wondering now, What are the ingrediants of a 'Pritt stick'? are they of any nutritional value?

Peggy

We currently have a 3year old who eats her way through the sand tray.........mum says she did the same with the beach on holiday. She literally scoops handfuls into her mouth. Last year we had a child who was a 'sensory seeker' but he liked to rub every thing on his face before eating it.

Sounds very familiar, we had a SN child in the past who ate pritt sticks, PVA glue, playdough, plastacine, paint, soap when she washed her hands the list goes on, but she wouldn't go near any solid food only pureed!!!

Our problem is slightly different - a boy who keeps wiping his nose on the playdough - we have thrown away pounds of playdo this week alone! If he's not licking it, he's wiping his schnozz on it.... apart from banning him from the table what do I do???? (Its really helpful to think about sensory exploration tho - keeping it positive!)

That is definately sensory seeking behaviour. Do they do that with any other things? toys? playdough etc? If that's the case then maybe you could see if you can get hold of the SALT and ask them about Chewy Tubes. Lots of my new class have them and one in my old class had one (I teach in a special school) and it helps them to focus on their work as they are getting the sensory stimulation they crave from the tube rather than whatever it was they were eating.

Ooh! Tell me more about chewy tubes...

I'll get the official info from the SALT on Friday when she's in school next and then I'll type it up for you. They are fascinating things and really work. They come in a variety of sizes, thicknesses and shapes. In my class we have one shaped like a P, a T shape with bobbles on it and a smooth t shape.

Ok, will do. If my memory serves me right I think that they are suitable from 9 months onwards but I'll check tomrrow if I can catch the SALT as she's a very busy lady and its not my week to have her in class (she works with us every other week)

Sorry, it was a madhouse in my class on Friday so I never got chance to nip out and catch the SALT- I'll hopefully have more joy this week, if not before Friday then definately then as she should be in with my class for their food tech session.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)