Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teeth Cleaning And Face Washing!

I'm wondering what other people in full day care do for teeth cleaning and hand/face washing?

I have been offered differing advice and it seems some settings use a wash bag with a toothbrush/facecloth/toothpaste inside while others only use wipes for faces. Another setting has a shelf in the bathroom with individually named disposable cups with each childs toothbrush in?

What does Ofsted approve of? HELP!!!

HI

we have each child's tooth brush and tooth paste in a small net (the one's you get with washing powder tablets) these are then hung on a peg with the child's name on.

with regards to face washing we use face cloths and just wash them at nursery. Although my health and safety officer says that we should not be using face cloths due to spread of infections.... currently im trying to persuade the directors to let us get disposable cloths for face washing, but i can see this is going to get costly.

Dawn

Hi,

Not sure about brushing teeth but after meals we wet and ring out paper towels, tear them into squares and hand them to the children who wipe their own faces, check with us that they've not missed any bits and then they dispose of the wet paper towel in the bin..we are in the pre-school room though.. our 2-3's have face cloths that are washed daily.

Lu :)

Those disposable face cloths are absolutely horrible! They retain all the water so most of it is dripping down the children's faces and they are too wet for the children to get a good hold of.

I have worked in settings that provide face cloths for the children that are washed everyday, and others that the parents provide that are taken home at the end of the week :oxD and washed at home. We have also done the wipes and disposable cloths but as Dawn says, they do add up.

As for toothbrushes, we tended to use the plastic cup idea with the child's own name and toothpaste. There are toothbrush buses that you can get, although not sure where from that are space saving and keep all the brushes away from each other.

Hope this helps. Will have a look for the toothbrush bus and see if I can post a link to it!

Can tell what toothbrushing programme you have Beau! We were told 45 mins after, but that once a day after snack at nursery would not harm them :o She said that at home they were better to brush BEFORE eating if they weren't able to wait the 45 mins (e.g after breakfast on a school day!)

Did your scheme rep bring in the amounts of sugar in pots to represent the amounts present in common sweets? Very scary - shocked some of the parents that's for sure xD

Megsmum

We have brush buses which our local dental health team provide (Manchester). We also have milk with fluoride in as we need all the help we can get with teeth round here. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)