Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jolly Phonics

Guest Really

I have been using JP for 2 years now and with great success. I was just wondering whether anyone had any different activites to help reinforce the sounds. This is what I do at the moment:

Clay/Playdough forming the sounds.

Sand - mix of sound tiles and the children find them and sort into correct hoops

Paint - forming them or choose a picture of something that begins with a particular sound and

paint it and then do the initial sounds.

Chalk boards for the children to practice forming sounds.

Cutting and sticking - they cut out sounds and stick them on the correct piece of paper.

Water - ?

I have a very good class this year who did JP in nursery and at least three quarters can hear initial sounds already and half the final too. My highers can write words such as 'pram' 'botl' so any ideas I could add to the above would be good.

Thanks.

How about covering shallow tray with tin foil, sugar paper, wrapping paper (or lining the bottom of a tray) then covering with a thin layer of coloured sand?

Children write in the sand with their fingers and other mark making implements and then can immediately cover it over and start again. Quick to set up, no supervision needed and re-usable.

To maintain interest, you could change the colour of the lining or make it stripey, spotty, a certain picture etc. so there is a sense of discovey every time they use it.

Have you tried the playing with sounds folder DFES ? I know that JP do not advocate 'mixing' with other schemes etc. , however my LA insist I use the PIPS and so I tend to tailor the activities in the folder to extend and reinforce the JP . Also my class love jolly jingles/jolly songs.

We sometimes play phonic skittles too, the children love it - just stick the sounds you are looking at onto skittles and play as normal, the lower ability could just say the sound and the higher ability could say a word beginning with that sound and , as you've obviously got some brill writers, they could write their word on a whiteboard

My class last year enjoyed fishing for letters written on balls - differentiate as for kermit's skittles game. I also have the Pips object bag which are great, if a little expensive. We use these for sorting activities - I put out boxes with letters we've done on and a tray containing relevant pictures - children then sort to the correct box, first by initial sound and later by medial or final sound.

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)