Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Why Do I Bother....

beth1

Why is it that I find some long term contracts only to be told I cannot do them because I need day relase to attend training e.g. FD course.

I am starting to get little disheartened about all this, not job could me no course for me to attend, maybe I should just forget tring to move up the ladder and leave the proffession all togher like so may have gone before me, some of people I see from college have left because the feel that they cannot find suitable jobs that fit their needs and I am in this same situation.

Sorry to rant on but I have tried everything to find another job in childcare.

Beth

Virtual hugs and best wishes to you, :) you have had such a lot to deal with lately, (highs and then lows) we are all rooting for you and something is bound to happen soon, try to be happy :D

Thank you everyone reading the posts I am feeling much better.

As anyone ever telephoned day nurseries etc to see if there are any jobs with them, I am not very confident in this area but need to find a job fast but unsure how to go about it. Also why is it that numbers are always low during September and October, it may take weeks to find a job. :o

Beth

Numbers are so low because most schools only have one intake per year. For example in the summer term I had 30 children on my register, 2/3 rds of the attending 3,4 or 5 full days per week. 15 of those children have left to start school, the remaining children are younger and attend fewer sessions, even the funded children parents are only using 3 or 4 sessions ( session = 1/2 a day)

These children will increase their sessions over the year, that is why summer terms are so busy.

New intake of children is much less than the number who have left because we tend to accept new entries throughout the year. I only have 3 new starters doing only 2 sessions each per week to replace the ones that have left. There is a dip in the birthrate causing lower intake numbers.

It's not the same everywhere, some settings have long waiting lists, it just depends how many settings there are in an area.

I wish you good luck in getting a job and continuing your professional development. Try your local authority early years website and job centre website, these are where I advertise any vacancies, because they are free, unlike expensive newspaper adverts.

Peggy

Things may be looking up have an interview with an agency tommorow to register. I have also registed with another agency today and they will look in the area I want to work in and see if there is any jobs available. The problem is all the part time jobs avialable are a long way to drive to e.g. 15 miles away.

I have also spotted a job in my local paper but I am unsure what to do. It is a pre-school leader jobshare, what ever that entails. :o The thing is that my foundation stage planning is a little rusty and that may be why I lost out last week? I would like to apply for the job but I feel after last weeks deputy preschool leader went to someone different I think I may not get the job.

Beth

I share the Leader role with a colleague and it works well you can bounce ideas off of each other and support each other, why not just go for it, what have you got to loose, think positive, if you get an interview read up and remind yourself about the Foundation stage, your course will compliment your job role and professional development, maybe your confidence has had a bit of a knock, don't let it get to you - good luck with the agency work also. :D

I agree with everything ShireL has said, GO FOR IT. be familiar with the Foundation Stage jargon, and remember every setting has their own unique methods of planning it's the experiences, the interaction with adults and childrens individual development that really counts, oh and not forgetting FUN, FUN, FUN. :D

Is it possible for you to ask for feedback on why you didn't get the other position, this may help with preparation for future interviews too, it doesn't hurt to ask. :o

Peggy