Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I've Done It Again

Every holiday i promise myself i am going to be very organised and get all my work done in the first week. I then promise myself that i am going to catch up on all the little jobs that get left till last due to lack of time. Well surprise, surprise i have left it all to the last few days yet again!!!! Why do i do it ?- it ruins the last fews days of my holiday and i kick myself for not having done it earlier. Still i suppose it gets my head back in work mode ready for next week (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it!) :o

I'm panicking a little now-not been able to go into school during hols been so busy!! Need to go in tomorrow for definite before inset day...also heard my ssa is ill and I won't have any support for SEN children, don't know what will happen with IEPs, etc...I'm sure we'll soon feel like we've never been away again soon, sometimes I faff too much and end up just moving things from one place to another instead of being focussed!! Here's to the next half term!!!

Seems like the holidays just zoomed by, I have had a lovely break though, we will soon all get back into it, I go back on Monday, good luck everyone with last minute planning, :D and sorry to all of those who don't get the summer break off, :o

:) I am glad I am not the only one who leaves things until the last minute.

Trouble is everytime I sit at my computer to do some planning I end up logging on to the forum :oxD:(

It's called 'crisis management' and I am an expert, leaving everything to the 'midnight hour'. It seems that this is the way my brain functions best, the all or nothing approach. xD:(

I have left everything up until now except 'nice' stuff like creating displays etc. I planned to prepare for my 1st day on Wednesday 6th by working steadily over this last week, all the tedious paperwork stuff. But now we have 2 foster children placed with us ( emergency placements) until Monday :o , I will get some work done but I bet I'll be up all night Tuesday, so anyone around at 3am Wednesday morning and you might see me on here. :(

Peggy

I am so good at task avoidance and I agree as soon as I pick up my laptop my fingers automatically log me in!

Ah well I'm sure we'll all be OK

Enjoy the last few days

Jo

Me too, funny I can't get round to the mundane aspects of work/planning, but find it SOOO easy to log on here and get really enthusiastic about things to do. I've spent my time making signs/labels etc - done loads of laminating and class room should look nice, even if I haven't a clue what we'll be doing in there! Still, you can't plan too much until you know where to pitch things can you xD

We're in tomorrow on a training day - no doubt we'll come away with loads of work on top of what I've still got to do :o

Never mind ... 7 weeks (I think) till the next hols. Good luck everyone for the new term.

Harricroft

For the first time ever I did all my planning, prep and everything early this year as I knew we would be away on holiday for the last two weeks of the hols. Very pleased wih myself - Went back to work today for inset and realised I cant remember half the things I planned all those weeks ago so I will have to go through all my plans again before Monday. And in the middle of the day panicked over loads of leadership things I'm sure I should have done!!

Prepared? Ha! Think I will leave it all till the last minute next year, I remember it all and don't have that vague feeling there is something else I should be doing!! Typical.

Liz x

I knew there was a very valid reaon for leaving things to the last minute, thanks Liz, now I don't feel so bad.

Thank you to all the members who have posted draw labels signs, classroom area signs, and schoollinks .co.uk and primary plan resources, I have spent the last 8 hrs printing, laminating, trimming, cutting, and filing loads, and loads :( and I've still got at least 4 hrs work left to do :( . Not complaining, this time next year I will be lounging on my trampoline/sunbed :oxD

Peggy

Boy am I glad I am not the only one. You know you read the postings on this site and sometimes you all sound much more organised and efficient and super in control than me, despite however many years it is I have been teaching, it is heartening to know that I will always be a 'fly by the seat of your pants' sort of a girl, but that it is ok. :D

Liz x

I personally think it is a crucial skill for our profession, to be spontaneous, to think on our feet, to digress and go our own way, to do what interests us ( ie: in my case creativity, making resources etc) as a priority and leave all the mundane stuff until we really have to. :D I sound like many of the children in my preschool :o . If we were orderly and organised would we have enough time for sponteneity, I doubt it. xD

It's a bit like if you actually work out your income and expenditure - an organised budget, you would never have any money left for treats. Yet if you don't stick to your budget you always seem to find the money when it's really needed, but also spend money on treats as well. (if you see what I mean) :D

Time management is in my vocabulary, but mine doesn't always fit in with everybody elses timetable - never early, most always on time, rarely late and if I am it's definately someone elses fault, traffic etc. :(:(

Peggy