Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kuw- Recording For Science Aspects

Hi -just need some advice really - am about to start a new job in Reception - and on a visit to my new school my other Reception teacher was showing me what books were used for Reception - this included a book for recording science activites done by the children - I was a little horrified as at my previous school any KUW- science that I planned was always very hands on and practical and involved lots of talking and predicting - the most recording I did was my TA and me writing down what children said which i used for the e- profile and taking photos - just was wondering how much recording every one else did for the science aspects of KUW- as personally I'd rather the children be exploring than spending ages struggling to write or draw - or do I need them to do this? I suppose I could fill their books up with photos! :o

I'd be feeling the same way with that one suebee. Think Id use photos too and perhaps some written comments rather than asking children to record formally. Have a look at what has been done before and see what you can do, it may not be appropriate for you to neglect this either.

thanks for those relpies - as far as I know the books are to be newly introduced this year - a decision made by the science faculty in the school !

just out of interest what does everyone else do?

Hi Suebee,

I record any science based activities much the way you have done previously. I note any significant language/development in post it note form and either myself or my TA will take photographs throughout the day that can be annotated. My science based discovery is very practical no formal recording is expected by the children at this point. I hope you manage to sort this one out.

Edited by Guest

We do have a Knowledge and understanding book that is used at various points during the year. We tend to stick in photos related to a teacher planned activitiy, and comments from the children during discussion. A times, there may be pictures the children have drawn (though this is usually later in the year).

We do very little recording. We note down observations and take photo's. Children may on occassion draw a picture but this is as far as our recording ever goes

Guest tinkerbell

We have a knowledge and understanding book for each child and yes they somtimes draw things in or stick things they may have cut out etc faces or babies/grown ups..in ourselves topic...I would annotate what they had done etc...I very rarely stick photos in individual books ( acollegue of mine does this all the timein yr1/2 and its an expensive use of resources what for????

I do keep a big A3 display book and each week we do a double papge of photos of what has been happening in class....these books go home to the parents at the end of each half term..that way you only need one or two photos of the activity with several children on it...not one per child.

PS The Ofsted inpector thought the big book was excellent she could se the whole year in 6 books!

Tinkerbellx

We keep whole class albums of photographs and also make montages which are displayed on the walls but parents often want the photographs of their child so we also produce individual 'My Foundation Stage Book' with photographs of special achievements activities etc but these cover the child's full time in the unit often 3 years and are not linked to themes in the strictest sense. With digital cameras and a laser printer reproducing photographs for a theme book need not be expensive and something for parents and children to look back on when the children leave the unit.

Guest tinkerbell

I'm not criticising the use of photographs Marion ,you have a purpose for your individual books .I have a r/yr1 class and a TA and the big book of photos is all I am prepared to spend time on. My criticism of collegue was the same photo of a maths activity going into 25 exercise books with no annotation, seemed a waste of resources.

Tinkerbellx

PS have you had a holiday this summer ?

You are right I wouldnt print off 25 copies of the same photograph that would be a real waste of effort but I thought Moose's idea of making it 'posh' and a celebration of children's achievents sounded a great idea.

Only managed a few weekend breaks as my partner was working but its been a nice relaxing time caught up on some reading (not school books) and did girlie things with my daughter.

Hope you had a good break too :D

Guest tinkerbell

Glad you managed a break.

My partner and I did a short break to Barcelona, had a lovely time.Wish I had a daughter it would be nice to do girlie things,I have 2 sons (23 and 20) still at home so I'm on with the washing and ironing in between posting on here and laminating!

Tinkerbellx

Tinkerbell I think your idea sounds great and I will hopefully use it next term and I totally agree girlie days are SO expensive. Why does my lovely daughter never have her purse on her?

Jo

Boys are no less expensive!! I cant believe the tolietries and hair gel etc Ive been caught for in the last few years!

Your A3 book sounds lovely, Tinkerbell and ought to be the way recording for FSP goes in my opinion. I used to make photo albums when I had my own class.

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks for the positive comments.

We use 1 A3 display book for each half term,you can get 10 clear pages or 20.We use the 10 and do back to back sheets =20.Each week we do 2 pages ( if its something special it will get more of a spread.)The Ta works with children choosing and sticking on on Friday morning, as the year ptogressed the children wrote words or captions to go with the pics.

We also do mini A4 display books for outings and events.

We use the first page with an intro for the parents and a class tick list and pop an exercise book in for parents comments....it gives you areal buzz because they are all so enthusiastic and positive.

Tinkerbellx

• 2 weeks later...

What a great idea! Do you put examples of activities from all areas of learning in it for the week?

We have a theme book for each child which usually lasts two terms if not longer. Photos and annotations of the children's comments, attitudes to learning go in there mainly for KUW. Sometimes I will ask the children if they think they can record their work and let them have a go.

Mel C

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)