Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Area For Nursery Classroom

Hi,

I am moving to a Nursery in Sept and am busy trying to get displays etc ready. In my new classroom, the parents will come in through the cloakroom/Reception area. I really want to make this a welcoming area for both the children and parents - just wondering what other people have successfully included.

Ideas I have had so far are . . .

. . . a book display - selection of books that the children can borrow, brightly coloured pictures of books and (short) book reviews written by children, parents and staff.

. . . children's names created in Word Art displayed on the wall near their pegs and an invitation to bring in small photos/picture of things that are significant to each child.

. . . a 'welcome' board along some kind of theme with all the children's photos.

. . . a sign in area with clock, plant, folder etc.

. . . a colourful display describing activities we will be doing and possible links that parents could make at home.

It is a reasonably big area with a lot of wall space, so I would appreciate any other ideas. Also, should we have policies available for parents to read?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds good already! how about a comments & suggestions box. I have had one in place for a couple of years and it hardly gets used. the idea is that any one can post in a comment or suggestion and the reply will be posted on the notice board. This could be a good way of problem solving, encourges the less confident parents to have a point of view and sometimes you even get a well done comment ( not that often i must add!) I do remind parents in the newsletter about the box. Oh.. a pen and paper near by all ways helps!

How about a space for parents to advertise things for sale a bit like the supermarkets? Or local childminder, after-school care advertisements/posters, mums/toddlers groups, health information, menus if you serve snacks/lunches, helplines-e.g benefits advice, health centres

Sounds great.. We have a birthday display with a wipe clean board to write whose birthday it is today. We have some photos and captions of what children can learn about outside (as it is where children put on coats to go outside). We have 'welcome' written in all the languages of the group (hard to keep up to date). We also have local Surestart info.

yes you do need to display your policy documents.we have our long term ,medium term up and a white board of WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING TODAY also a menu board of snacks eaten.A staff board with photos and qualification experience etc

In my Nursery cloakroom area I am just in the process of setting up a Nursery Year 'Time Line'. I've put up a long line labelled September- August and each month will display some photos of a noteable event or activity that has taken place. Hopefully it will communicate some of our activities to parents but will also help develop chidrens sense of time as we look back over the course of the year and reminisce about some of the things we have done.

Above the 'line', stuck to the appropriate month, will be photos (unnamed) of each child mounted onto a graphic of a birthday cake depicting when their birthday is. As they turn 4, we will add an additional 'candle' to the cake. Hopefully the children will then be able to see who is already 4, and who has a birthday still to come, by counting the candles. also developing sense of time.

GillieAnn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)